Monastery Night Dive?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nate,

Logic would dictate that yes, he is always out there. Monastery is in fact exposed to more open ocean than say Break Water...

Having said that, he has come into the bay, in as close as Marina state beach...

Scuba divers are not on his menu, too many divers out there and he prefers other game, that's is great news for us...

Oh, that makes me feel much better. I would have thought I would've just made a better target, being all lit up and such. Neon sign saying "eat me"
For some reason I feel more comfortable in the shallower areas, less chance the GWS can get up underneath me, aren't they night-feeders/stalkers?

:)

I am not picky on place if I get a chance of diving. Prefer BW as I've been there during the day.

I just heard more. I'll pass on Monastery (night or day) dive. Thanks for the heads up!

Kristina,

It has been stated that they will feed in the dusk and dawn. Late at night there are not too many game running around.

Pinnepids will start there runs early in the morning and just as the Sun is setting. Logic would push the GWS to hunt in this type of pattern, why exhaust precious reserves searching for game late at night?

That is not to say, he wouldn't come and investigate something floating on the surface with a night light all by herself in deeper water, they are opportunistic feeders.

But then, do you see many night divers out at 11pm-3am? I don't, care for those hours and wouldn't want them unless I was on a research vessel doing such planned dives.

Leave those hours to the researchers and the crazy divers that are looking for trouble in all the wrong places.

Kristina, you are a mom and when you boy turns teenager, you will against his wanting to have fun in the early morning hours of 2am-4am... That is just looking for trouble from events outside his control.

Stick to the basics and stay way from SOCIAL NONCONFORMITY... :)

But I would love to do BW night dive Saturday (weather permitting that is). Got new can light! :)

LOL, I've been known to still have fun during those hours :)
I think that Lover's might be a cool night dive, if Breakwater gets too old for you, MacAbee maybe too, I'm sure the people dining above would get a kick out of it.

I think that Lover's might be a cool night dive, if Breakwater gets too old for you, MacAbee maybe too, I'm sure the people dining above would get a kick out of it.

McAbee would be quite interesting at night, well-protected and reasonably well lit on shore to keep your bearings. Lover's can be problematic, as there's sometimes a fair along-shore current.

Originally Posted by iztok
icosm14.gif

I am not picky on place if I get a chance of diving. Prefer BW as I've been there during the day.
I just heard more. I'll pass on Monastery (night or day) dive. Thanks for the heads up!

Very wise. Monastery is definitely not a place to do a night dive if you've never previously dived it (in various conditions) by day. I expect South Monastery would be a better bet at night in any case.

Guy

I hope your son isn't reading your post, gives him good reason to want to stay out late in the night... :D

The more I read about the "landlord" the more I am not sure I want to dive Monastery when I move back to SF. Anyone want to dive somewhere else?

Oh they are just like little puppy dogs that want attention. Just rub their bellies.
Guy_petting_a_great_white_shark.jpg

Back
Top Bottom