Monastery Canyon in 3D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.......Can you add an image of the warning signs to the simulator somehow? Would hate to see someone virtual dive it and then think they know the beach well enough to do it in real life.

Every time someone uses the simulator, he/she MUST accept our liability release that basically tells them to get real life training:

eDiving_liability.jpg

Having said that, I will gladly add to the virtual dive site any sign / warning that the real experts like you would recommend. Do you have images of those "warning signs" you suggested?

The signs at Monastery are awesome.

How about this sign.
death-sign-vector.jpg

Or this one?
stock-photo-warning-injury-or-death-sign-isolated-warning-entry-may-result-in-serious-injury-or-death-isolated-3633198.jpg

With a couple word edits this is the most appropriate sign. Of course 300 divers haven't died at CRB and Monastery...thousands have!
GRIMREAPER.jpg

With a couple word edits this is the most appropriate sign. Of course 300 divers haven't died at CRB and Monastery...thousands have![/IMG]

I don't think it's in the thousands... I'm pretty sure that there are more traffic fatalities in Monterey/Carmel county than there are drowning deaths at the beaches.

Someone might have a better image but
2441368127_6ec50a3470.jpg

PacificGal once took me there to show me this site. (After diving at Monterey.) I must say that the sign and the whole site made an impression on me. Basically it is a place I have no desire to dive for quite a while based on my success on beach entries so far.

I think there's three or four fatalities a year at Monastery. I'm sure there's more traffic deaths, but it's in the same range as cave deaths or rebreather deaths right? On pure count, not %, naturally.

So, for the dive area I think I will go for a section of 700m x 700m (1m resolution) covering the head of the Carmel Canyon.
More specifically the focus of the dive site will be the Monastery Wall for advanced divers (down to ~140ft). Of course, technical diver will be able to explore the rest of the canyon (max depth for the section is 161m).

See image

monastery_wall_composite.jpg

The 30-45' range of the kelp bed near the wash rock is so amazing though. I'd hate for people to think that the only reason to go to Monastery is to go deep.

The 30-45' range of the kelp bed near the wash rock is so amazing though..
What is / where is the "wash rock"?

..... I'd hate for people to think that the only reason to go to Monastery is to go deep.
I don't know why ... but looks like that our "virtual divers" likes to dive deep sites :confused:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom