Monastery Canyon in 3D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget the sheep crabs! Seeing those prehistoric-looking monsters was one of the "wow" moments of my first Monastery dive.
we have those already in the sym .... and if you get too close to them they pinch you :D

....2) The west side is the Monastery Wall.

OK. Monastery Wall it is then.
When you guys dive the Monastery Canyon, how big of an area do you guys dive? So far I have created a 1Km x 1Km area at 1m resolution (lots of datapoints) .... is it big enough? Or too big for a typical dive there?

Also, do you guys dive the wall north of the Monastery Wall (see image below)? From the sim it seems to have an interesting structure.

monastery_north_wall.jpg

1)
2) The west side is the Monastery Wall.

This is my favorite spot in the whole North/South Monastery. It's really magical spot. I kinda want to sit down, open bottle of wine, pull my little lunch box and enjoy the scenery.

OK. Monastery Wall it is then.
When you guys dive the Monastery Canyon, how big of an area do you guys dive? So far I have created a 1Km x 1Km area at 1m resolution (lots of datapoints) .... is it big enough? Or too big for a typical dive there?

Also, do you guys dive the wall north of the Monastery Wall (see image below)? From the sim it seems to have an interesting structure.

monastery_north_wall.jpg
Here is a link to a vidoe of the Wall north of the Monastery wall. North Monastery 225-226 005 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I think that is the most verticle part of Monastery.

and another link shot in the shallower part of the wall north of North Monastery (about 50') North Monastery 225-226 006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quickest way to this wall by shore is through South Carmel Meadows. A bit of a hike though.

(Both videos provided by Dave, thanks. Hope you chime into this thread soon)

Last edited:
Rob (rhlee on here) has dived it. He dubbed it "the whisker". I wouldn't claim that that's an official name or anything :)

Allison

It's more like 100' (barely) at the top. 130' on the West side, 150-180' on the E-NE side. The E-NE side has a healthy covering of orange metridiums on it (as of 2008).

Rob,

Any particular reason you named it the Whisker?

Didn't really intend to "name" it per se; was just a (cat-related) moniker I used when telling Allison about the dive. Honestly, I doubt it is dived very much if at all; not really a whole dive's worth to see there.

Sounds officially named to me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom