Mona Island, Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone been out there? Or the other one... Desecheo?

What's it like?

Yup, and Monita, too.

Can be a rough boat ride out & rough on the surface when you're not diving on the lee side of the islands. Can be some strong currents. Diving is decent Caribbean fare, but not world-class.

Issue is finding an op to take you out.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi,
I dove Desecheo and loved it. Spoke to a business asso that was hired 5 years in a row to take photo and video of Puerto Rico's topside and underwater sites for the Puerto Rico tourism council. He said he thought he had dived almost every nook of PR and said that his favorite was Desecheo.

The Nekton Rorqual is scheduled to begin trips to that area in December of this year.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

We were at Desecheo last February. We enjoyed the diving there but it was not the best we have seen. Vis was good. Currents ranged from strong to very strong. We dove with Oceans Unlimited http://www.oceans-unlimited.com/ They were very good and have a really nice dive boat. We stayed at Amirage which was absolutely fabulous.

If you want some more info about our time there, let me know and I will get it to you.

merlindiver - you asked me about water temps at Desecheo in February. Here is what I have in my dive log:

Dive dates were Feb 19 through Feb 21

Dive Air/Water at Surface/Water at depth
1 79/81/81 10:06a
2 90/81/81 12:39p
3 81/81/81 10:20a
4 86/81/81 12:26p
5 77/81/81 6:46p (night dive)
6 77/81/81 9:23a

Our best dive was at Yellow Reef. The current can be strong there but we hit a day where it was only moderate so we took advantage of the conditions. Lots of swim throughs and high canyon-like walls. Out of the 6 dives we did at Desecheo, this was the site we would like to go back to the most.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom