Molokini vs Lanai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi - 71 feet and 49 minutes (air limited), and 63 feet and 60 minutes (planned maximum dive time). We dove Wash Rock and First Cathedral. Extended Horizons promotes a nice, slow paced lingering style of dive that really lets you have fun and observe. Now that I look at my dive log, my dives at Molokini were at similar depths.

Thank you for the information. I have my dives booked for July already

257 Lahaina Divers.JPG

Another Cathedrals shot.....

Thanks for the input, I'm heading to Maui in early April and was debating the same thing. Has anyone had issues at Lanai with group sizes or new divers kicking up sediments etc..? I read a few comments about that but am not sure if it's as big of a deal as I may think it is. I suppose the potential is always there on a popular dive site like the Cathedrals.

I'd say I enjoy the reef structures more than searching crevices for critters at the current time, so I am leaning towards Lanai; however, I am also looking to build my skills set with more difficult dives, so getting another drift dive or two under my belt would be nice.

Thanks for the input, I'm heading to Maui in early April and was debating the same thing. Has anyone had issues at Lanai with group sizes or new divers kicking up sediments etc..? I read a few comments about that but am not sure if it's as big of a deal as I may think it is. I suppose the potential is always there on a popular dive site like the Cathedrals.

I'd say I enjoy the reef structures more than searching crevices for critters at the current time, so I am leaning towards Lanai; however, I am also looking to build my skills set with more difficult dives, so getting another drift dive or two under my belt would be nice.

Large groups get divided up anyway.

As for new divers kicking up sediment (or kicking you), it can happen like anywhere else but isn't something I'd worry about. I just linger in the back of the group, like on most dives, where I can take my time looking at stuff while keeping tabs on the rest of the group. I don't have to worry about someone else encroaching on my space.

Hi Scotty, as a Maui local I would have to agree with Jessy on this one. If you want photogenic critters, long bottom time, and throw in easy access to the mix then Mala Pier is the dive for you. It can easily be done a shore dive, you can't get lost and you can find nudis, frogfish, octos, eels, turtles, sharks, spotted eagle rays, big schools of fish....and more little stuff if you look hard. It is where I go on the West side for photos.
If you have your heart set on a double boat dive and you are on the West side then I would say dive Lanai, with Cathedrals 1 a definite. There you can get different nudis, viper moray, and bandit anglefish. The animal life is prolific outside of the cathedral.
-Dai Mar

Did both a few months ago, Lanai is such a great dive, all the cathedrals and lights shinning down and walls are incredible - I was really looking forward to Molokini, mainly because from the sky the dive site looks out of this world, but for me the site was way too barren for my liking.

I just returned and did both among others. I would suggest the cathedrals if you have only one dive. They can be spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom