Molokini Snorkeler and Diver on same boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui Diamond II- which you can book through Maui Dreams Dive Shop at 874-5332 accommodates both divers and snorkelers.

"that" is a money pic for sure.:crafty:

Unfortunately it is not close enough to proper exposure that I can get a decent print out of it, even after many photoshop attempts over the years. That pic, and the series linked below, was taken with my old Nikonus V (28 mm lens I think). A "range finder" camera requires that you set an f-stop and then a focal distance range (3'-6', 4'-10', 8'-infinity and many more). I needed to at least change the f-stop before that pic, but it happened too fast and/or I was too tired to think straight.

Hawaiian Monk Seal and White Tip Reef Shark

"that" is a money pic for sure.:crafty:

+1

Regardless of the lack of perfection you've mentioned, that's a great shot of a very cool situation. The story is told by the pic, regardless of the technical execution. Nicely done and thanks for posting it.

OP, I havent done Molokini, but I can highly recommend Kona Honu Divers while you're on the BI. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ops, but we've had great experience on two trips with Kona Honu. Kona Honu Divers - Kona Coast Diving, World Famous Manta Ray Night Dives

Thanks for all of the suggestions- it makes a lot more sense as to why I'm having more difficulty finding someone to take my mother and I together. I'm thinking maybe we'll just go snorkeling together one day and I'll dive without her another.

Also, glad to see the seal survived?? Awesome picture.

Thanks for all of the suggestions- it makes a lot more sense as to why I'm having more difficulty finding someone to take my mother and I together. I'm thinking maybe we'll just go snorkeling together one day and I'll dive without her another.

Also, glad to see the seal survived?? Awesome picture.

Ren,

I'm in the same situation with my wife. She will not dive, but likes being on the boat and snorkeling. We have had good experiences with Maui Dive Shop at Molokini where they picked a dive site close to the crater for the snorkelers and the divers dropped down and drifted a bit to the edge of the left side. We've also gone with Lahaina Divers up north and had one memorable experience at manta point (?) where we were in about 40 feet of water and the mantas that came by passed within a couple of feet of us on the bottom and couple of feet of my wife on the surface.

I yearn for the great scuba-only sites as well, so we end up with a compromise of going out together on boats that offer both and then a couple of times in the week I will go with Mike Severns by myself.

As an earlier poster said, we also tried the Alii Nui (snorkel boat that allows a couple of divers) and were very pleased. They have a schtick where they try to convince some snorkelers to try a Discover Scuba class while on the boat, but on my ride, I was the only certified diver and ended up with a one-on-one guided tour designed to my interest and speed. It was more expensive, but the luxury and relaxation was worth it as a treat.

I'm thinking we might do the snorkeling with Alii Nui - it looks great- Mom had a rather unfortunate experience during try scuba at the local dive shop- we were sitting on the bottom of the pool in the shallow end playing with an underwater torpedo toy and she out of no where reached up and pulled the reg out of her mouth then tried to breathe- it wasn't pretty and she's over ever trying again.

For diving def planning on going with Mike Severns - and I guess I can just play by ear if I dive on the Alii Nui boat or just snorkel - I need to remember snorkeling can be fun too right?? hehe
Thanks for that suggestion- it looks great and like something mom would love.

That's awesome- how deep was the water? Were you on the surface or did you free dive down to get this shot? It's such a great picture.

Back
Top Bottom