Molokini Backwall-Lahaina Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Very interesting! I found Lahaina divers to be extremely efficient like a well-oiled machine. The shop is very well organized....stations for paperwork, lots of stuff to buy, wet gear area laid out optimally for work flow. 90% of staff very friendly and helpful. The boat was big and carried 24 divers across the 50 minute crossing at a nice clip. I'm not one for big boats with many divers but I must say they pulled it off very smoothly. I ventured into three other shops along the way and was told I would be diving with the "Scuba Nazis" by all three shops. :11: I can see where they get that, orders are given at every turn. When to take shoes off, when to sit, when to move (a little like being on a commercial plane) But, lets face it, diving that many people with all that gear...you sort of need some order. Loud announcements like "IF YOU EAT TWO COOKIES---YOU WILL BE EATING SOMEONE else's cookie", are a bit of a turn off to me, but what the hey. The head was the cleanest I have ever encountered on a boat! So a big kudos for that! No slackers on this staff, they worked together very efficiently.

Another mild complaint, I overheard someone ask "will someone hand us our camersa?" and the answer given was "No--you will all be jumping in with your cameras" :11doh:
No photog special status on this boat! Also, the drift pick-ups on a boat this size with this many divers could use a deck hand accepting fins and taking cameras, from my perspective. (Maybe there was and he was somewhere else when I was coming up the ladder) I could not see the captain in the flybridge, but I could hear his orders and he sounded pretty serious screaming "60 seconds, 30 seconds!" The weakest diver in the group got to the ladder first, as luck would have it and spent a bit too long holding up the show as the boat swept closer to the rocks. Once he finally got his fins off (ask Santa for some spring heels, brudda!) I was hustling to get aboard and a swell took a fin off the deck. I considered dropping down for it but opted not as time was running out and so I scurried aboard about five seconds before the props were fired up (yikes, I hope he could see me, cause I couldn't see him!) IF you don't have spring heels and are having trouble, the side of the ladder is a good spot to struggle without blocking the entire ladder. This way, once you are a good to go you can swing around and climb aboard.

We circled back for the remaining 20 divers and they threw out a very long tag line and began ordering divers to remove their fins and pass them up) I am not a big fan of this, although I do understand why they felt the need to get people aboard rapidly in the swell. We had a strong group of divers but not quite moving fast enough for a stress-free pick up. The issue was a bit of current carried us back from where we had swam out for the pick-up. I think it would be better in this situation to do a slow finning deco as opposed to a stationary one that moved us back towards the wall.

On the 15 ft safety stop, I started to deploy my SMB (boat traffic concerns) and was told not to. I think they like the procedures executed the same way every time and I was told later the captain watches for our bubbles. (that always feels like a "trust me") hey, I am stuck in my ways, so any change is an exercise in *hanging loose*.

All in all, great dives (lots of sharks) and I saw some nice sized Ulua. Dive guides gave us a max depth of 80 ft (reasonable with a group that size, trying to time a unified pick-up with Al 72's)

All-in -all a good operation, especially if you value organization and running on a tight schedule! Coffee and pastries in the am and a good lunch on the surface interval.

Tim (kidspot, an A plus partner) Always cheerful, reasonable and a huge plus to any charter, IMO. He spotted the early stages of my camera demise on the stop. It was sad seeing the housing slowly fill with sea water, but not a darn thing you can do really. On the boat we joked about closing it's eyes and "draping the body" with a towel. I'm not sure how it happened. Was it the jump off? (I had stepped off backwards to break the impact) or the *vertcial diver* that managed a good kick on the dome port? ...I'll just never know. A right of passage, I suppose. he he..they call Molokini back side "The Dark Side" as it is shaded from the light untill mid day, so it is almost always in the shadows on an am dive. Some black coral around 80-90 ft, I noticed.

The theatrical show Ulalena I enjoyed very much! The music/ vocalists were exceptional as were the props and lighting. EEEEeee, I entered the restroom and there was not a soul. Upon leaving, it was a long walk of shame...rows and rows of men at urinals. Oops.

you are pretty laid back so I don't think I would have enjoyed this dive op. Come on-- how many people storm off the dive boat? LOL.
BTW- how many cookies did you eat?

Thanks for the report Catherine - it was nice to finally dive with you and meet Alex. And with you behind the lens of my camera I wound up with a couple really nice pics from that second dive :)

I must say Lahaina Divers has the nicest boat I've ever dove off - very comfy. I especially liked the wide solid ladders to climb back on with. During the rough exit I didn't even try taking my second fin off as it was so rushed getting on board... but it fit on the ladder. (Sry about your fin loss :( I heard someone had lost a fin, but didn't know it was you)

The last time I took a boat from Lahaina to Molokini it was in 6ft swells (we were the only boat out there :S ) I swore never to do that trip again lol. It's actually not a bad trip on a calm day I discovered. Especially as quick as we did the crossing. Honestly I don't think I could drive to the Kihei boat ramp as quickly as we made the crossing. Though I still prefer the short trip from the Kihei boat ramp.

I imagine the long crossing is also the reason for the much higher price (Kamaaina rate is still $30 more than B&B who I usually go with)

The dives were both rather short IMO - but they were at max NDL and with the available SI not much of a way to avoid it (Both dives would have "bent" my computer if I had followed their depths, but knowing this I just kept 10ft shallower on the first dive, next time I'll just leave my computer in gauge mode like I normally do :( ). I just prefer a multi level dive that lasts longer. First dive 30min @ 80fsw, 45 min. SI and then a 30min @60fsw dive. When we got back to the dock I hopped on board Reefdancer and asked if I could do a couple more dives to finish off the air in my two tanks. Got a 25 and 35 minute dive in ... nice end to a day of diving. I even got to shoot my smb for the second of those dives :wink: (took 3 minutes for the boat to find me ... very nice)

Also there were 4 crew on the boat with us, which is what other smaller ops I've been with have, so I'm not sure a new diver would have as many "eyes" keeping watch over them since there are 2x as many divers.

Final thoughts - Lahaina Divers runs a class operation, but it's a little too "organized" for my likes. As Catherine mentioned they have to keep the gears running smoothly with that many divers on board. The crew I dealt with were all very friendly, though you could tell they were used to having to direct each step of the dive (ie. I asked for some defog as I like to let it dry on my mask before jumping in and was told "you need to wait till just before the dive or it will dry on" ... uhhh - I think that's what I said I wanted - lol) Definitely a good boat/crew when dealing with newer divers, and I can't say even experienced divers would go wrong by booking with them. However, unless I'm going to Lanai (I'd like to try their Cathedrals trip) I'll be booking with one of the smaller boats (yes, most likely B&B :) ) Now if B&B could get one of them fancy 46' dive boats and only take 12 divers ... ahhhh ... how spoiled can you get :D

Aloha, Tim

here's my "happy" pic from the dive :)

molokini1.jpg

lol...Tim was diving for 20% of the dive with no mask. I kept looking at you thinking "hmm...something looks different!" Very nice, you looked very comfortable.

I'd like to know, was the second dive the westerly edge?
That was one of the best dives for healthy coral and fish I've done in Hawaii.
We have a dive that rivals that one, but it is probably more conditions dependant. (Fish Wall off Portlock towards Baboon Nose)

yea, the fin drifted towards the props and ...it woulda been a bad call to go for it. Look at the bright side, if I buy the same Quatros, I'll have spare!

you are pretty laid back so I don't think I would have enjoyed this dive op. Come on-- how many people storm off the dive boat? LOL.

one cookie but I felt like two just to mess up the perfect system, lol.
Yea, Melissa, that was a good one, stomping off the boat, the problem was the person you were mad at stomped off with you, and followed you home, he he, thats the problem with husbands.--hey a little drama never hurt anybody.

ch0ppersrule:

Catherine is definitely laid back ... her camera flooding never brought a complaint or cross look, and I didn't even hear her mention her lost fin till this thread.

Pleasant people turn a good dive into a great one :)

Gotta add one other thing - This is the ONLY time I've known of a boat to do 2 backwall dives on the same trip. So if you want to do both dives on the backwall Lahaina Divers is a reasonable choice.

her camera flooding never brought a complaint

Well thanks, if it's not JB's arms and legs or my kids, I think I can handle it. I guess the next saga will be how State Farm handles my claim.

Thanks...ya'll have fun!

I'll check the card although it sat all night in the housing. wow...the oxidation gave off some gas when I opened it up.

Hey Cath,

Use your Insurance Reimbursement from your flooded camera, and now get one of these. . .:eyebrow:

Also, Jo of IDH found my Jetfin (w/ springstrap) after I dropped it overboard on the Sea Tiger two years ago --you can have it if ya want it!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom