Question Moldy(?) second stage; Any chance of revival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mobulai

Coder Monkey, Dreamer of Transhumanistic Machines
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Edit/warning:
Graphical content and regulator violence ahead, this is a horror show for (me as well) those who love maintaining classics

A while back I got an obviously super beaten up 109 for 2 reasons:
- Practice some metal work on the faceplate (inspired by @EdEng ‘s work)
- the clamps actually look prestine so that was good to have as a replacement
when it arrived it seemd to have some verdigris and scratchy loss of chrome, I didn’t really inspect it because it was already dirt cheap

I parked it for a few months

Today while cleaning up a g250, I decided to open the 109 up and clean it as well; when I removed the mouthpiece there was a huge amount of black residue, first I suspected some breakdown from the silicone mouthpiece, but them it was also the metal “tube”, as well on some other crevices of the SS like the S/N; but it’s mostly the case; the faceplate seems mold (or whatever black residue) free

Now I forgot to take a picture before; it has been soaking in soapy water and I did some brushing (also with a brass brush); I brushed off most of the balck residue inside and out and I think it’s time to move to step 2; the acid/vinegar part of cleaning

Now I actually got motivate to maybe get the SS in working status, but I don’t know how to move on…
If it is mold, do I vinegar bath it? Do I take it a step further and try bleach?
Sure it’s a beater, but I don’t wanna turn it brass colored if I can avoid that
But prio one is make sure there is no mold (even if it will never be diveable)
image.jpg

But also.. if it’s a loss it’s a loss (I got what I bought it for already)

I might be tempted to try a little solvent first to see if that has any effect as it may not actually be mold.

BTW: I forgot to say, free for all.. Any idea you have I am open to testing it since it's already paid off the investment

I might be tempted to try a little solvent first to see if that has any effect as it may not actually be mold.
what kind were you thinking? WD? Isoprop Alcohol?

I'll try both

Edit: come to think of it, weather it’s mold or silicone, it would react similarly… which it did

I really suspect it’s indeed mold, as there was more of it at crevices (esp on the inside), more at sharp angles like the lip at the mouthpiece barrel

The question is, how to kill it with minimal damage

No need for bleach. Mold can be removed with soap and water and brushing - a firm toothbrush works well. The next step is a bath in 50:50 water:vinegar anyway to remove any mineral deposits.

Vinegar kills just about everything and removes verdigris etc

So I used some bathroom cleaner -- upgrading from regular soap -- and some firm brushing and I think I got it all
now the part of the "tube" that goes under the mouth piece is de-chromed but I think that's fine

No need for bleach. Mold can be removed with soap and water and brushing - a firm toothbrush works well. The next step is a bath in 50:50 water:vinegar anyway to remove any mineral deposits.
Vinegar kills just about everything and removes verdigris etc

15 mins in ultrasonic with vinegar/phosphoric acid mix and they came out pretty nice, soaking now in some baking soda (there was a g250 barrel and an r190 oriface in the mix as well)

I think it's coming up better than my best case scenario...

I'll give it a couple of days to dry in the sun just to kill any hypercondriac-y suspion of mold (I am a bit traumatized, 3 weeks ago had to deal with some Mold in the basmet of our building); then it's assembly time (or Dremel time for that faceplate?)

What are you doing with the Dremel?
the reason I bought the moldy 109 is that I am hoping to recreate this; well at least try
and I didn't wanna hurt the other ones I have that are in better shape
The Scubapro Perforated 156 is definitely one of the coolest & unique looking 2nd stage, I've came across.

The design is very distinctive & different from the 109 & 156.

Anyway, got my hands on two of them & instead of keeping both, in their original look, I decided to customize one.

However, before I post a couple of pictures, I would like to clarify a few things to avoid any hard feelings.

I know & understand that some might not like what I did to the historical piece & some might like it. Well... I do welcome both, criticisms & kind comments.

Note: As much as I would like to share, but I won't be able to share, information or the process of how it was done, due to a couple reasons.
1. Is due, to handling & customizing the diaphragm cover, 1st stage & etc, which might caused damages if not done carefully.
2. Is due to trade secrets.
Therefore, I hope & ask for all your understanding, on the matter stated above. Thank you.

The Yin
View attachment 646855
Original

The Yang
View attachment 646856
Graphite customization

Ed.

Maybe I need new glasses but I do not see mold. What I do see is areas where the chrome plating is gone, flaked off, exposing raw brass which has a little verdigris on those now exposed brass areas.

A dilute vinegar solution and an ultrasonic cleaning would remove the verdigris but the missing chrome can only be replaced by re-chroming.

If you keep the 109 clean and rinsed, use it as is. A good chrome polish will help keep it all nice and reduce verdigris.

Did someone say "Dremal" oh please, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom