Mold in mask skirt--removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just traded some of my "ill-fitting" gear with another Instructor (we accumulate a LOT of stuff:blinking:), and I found a mask which fits quite well.
However, the mask skirt (which is CLEAR silicone)has black mold around the inner (face side) edges, and in the nose pocket area. It's black, speckled and actually has a tactile "feel" to it...and cannot even scratch out with a fingernail.

Personally, I think my gear is MUCH better maintained (he got one of MY masks in exchange) , but he says ALL masks develop mold and that none of my masks show it simply because I always use BLACK silicone masks (this "new" one is clear silicone)--he may have a point I suppose...

So, the stuff around the edges I can live with, but the moldy nose pocket bothers me (maybe because it's not "my" mold, and came from another diver?)
Already took a toothbrush, used various soaps, and Fantastic spray cleaner but it's not coming out..

Read about some people using bleach (diluted) but that mask skirt is SO sensitive, it could react with bleach, and deform or otherwise damage the mask so it won't seal--then I will have a clean mask, but WORTHLESS!!

Ideas? Use a diluted bleach solution and rinse thoroughly? Any commercial chemical cleaners that won't endanger the silicone skirt?

Appreciate ANY ideas /advice..somebody must know!?
HB

I just traded some of my "ill-fitting" gear with another Instructor (we accumulate a LOT of stuff:blinking:), and I found a mask which fits quite well.
However, the mask skirt (which is CLEAR silicone)has black mold around the inner (face side) edges, and in the nose pocket area. It's black, speckled and actually has a tactile "feel" to it...and cannot even scratch out with a fingernail.

Personally, I think my gear is MUCH better maintained (he got one of MY masks in exchange) , but he says ALL masks develop mold and that none of my masks show it simply because I always use BLACK silicone masks (this "new" one is clear silicone)--he may have a point I suppose...

All masks do not develop mold.

Dirty, wet masks that sit in dark places develop mold.

I'd disassemble it if possible, then soak it in bleach. If it ruins the plastic, you haven't lost anything, since you can't use it like it is. AFAIK, silicone isn't sensitive to bleach.

There are new chemicals specifically designed to kill mold, but I wouldn't want them near my face even after a rinse.

The only parts I'd make sure to remove first, are are any metal pins/screws, etc which may get corroded if they're not stainless.

Terry

If possible I would dissamble it and soak it in a bleach SOLUTION, not straight bleach. No need to make it that strong, a much more dilute solution will do nicely. Looking at the bottle I have, it recommends 1/2 cup per gallon for towlet bowels....that should be plenty strong for a mask :)

Fill a sink with warm water....add a bit of Dawn or another mild dish soap...let soak for an hour and then go over the areas with an old tooth brush. That's what I have done in the past and it cleaned it up. Did it with 1 that I could disassemble and 1 that doesnt come apart and had the same great results.

If you dont have an old toothbrush, then use your current one because its probably time to change it anyways!!!!

Alternative to Dawn....use an antibacterial hand soap.

Do not disassemble the mask! Just let it soak in 50% bleach solution over night. This will help a lot and a tooth brush the next day should help. The stuff is amazingly resilient, but after a soak in bleach over night, I can't imagine it being a problem. I'm sure the internal portions of you home plumbing system LOOKS much worse, and you drink that water.

The bleach will not damage the mask, but you will need to let it soak for a day or two in freshwater to reduce the bleach smell after you are done.

I'm sure the internal portions of you home plumbing system LOOKS much worse, and you drink that water.

If you had any idea!!!

You can mix bleach at 25% with water and let is soak for a few minutes, the mold will be gone. It will not hurt the silicone masks and some times helps clear the yellow stains on clear skirted masks.

N

These anti-mold recipes will work well for you. And your pal who says all masks develop mold at some point is cracked. I've had one Sherwood mask since '94, clear silicone skirt. Yellowed but never molded!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom