molar "issues" and diving before its fixed ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caverdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had a corner of a molar splinter off over the weekend. The tooth has a couple of fillings and in the past few years has been very sensitive to cold liquids etc and was warned by the dentist that "one day" something like this would probably happen. I am particularly concerned because it is a fairly large piece of the tooth and there is no pain what so ever... I would think there should be pain galore... So I'm guessing this possibly implied root damage of some shape or form?!?

Dentist appointment will be made as soon as possible once they get in! :)

In the meantime, I read an older post which is excellent: http://www.ScubaBoard.com/showthread.php?t=16062&referrerid=49742

and I still have a question- - I have no idea when I'll get in to see the dentist and presuming it will take a few days- - am I ok to dive right now or should I wait?

Any thoughts appreciated... not wanting to create more damage, but if there is no harm then I'll continue making plans!

And or if this turns into a crown- am I reading the older post correctly that the temporary crown process will not add to the risk of more damage and thus it is ok or am I in a wishful thinking stage and reading what I want?

THANKS!

Dave

I'm not an expert, but have the following observations.

First, does your second stage mouthpiece come anywhere close to where the molar is/was? If so, it may aggravate the gum, which would be bad.

Second, is it on the top or bottom? It is possible for a molar's roots to penetrate into the sinus cavity, and missing the molar could mean there is an opening (or potential for an opening) between the mouth and sinuses. I would imagine this to be a bad thing to dive with.

KrisB:
I'm not an expert, but have the following observations.

First, does your second stage mouthpiece come anywhere close to where the molar is/was? If so, it may aggravate the gum, which would be bad.

Second, is it on the top or bottom? It is possible for a molar's roots to penetrate into the sinus cavity, and missing the molar could mean there is an opening (or potential for an opening) between the mouth and sinuses. I would imagine this to be a bad thing to dive with.

Thanks for the input Kris.

Some time has passed and little bits of the story have changed, mostly for the good. I spoke with Dan and reread the old posts and if I'm understanding it correctly the temporary crown shouldn't add a threat, but there is a chance. Sort of like all things in life, "shtuff" could happen. If the temp is done well then no problem, but there is a very slight chance... So with the dentist advising that it is ok to go as long as I need I'm opting to do nothing until I get through the next few weeks (I'm taking a class this weekend and had plans for diving the next 3 weekends). This is very "precautionary" so to speak. I could go with the temp crown and more than likely have no problems (I've received a few notes from folks and read a number of posts from folks that have dove w/ temp crowns w/ no problems). Seeing as the way one finds out that things didn't go perfectly w/ the temp is to have the tooth squeeze and/or the possible shattering of the temp while diving I'd rather not do that during the class. Chances are slim, but it would just be my luck to run into problems! Once the class is behind me, then I'll do the temp and then schedule a nice casual local dive that if I have a problem it won't be such a big deal to thumb it for the weekend.

You are correct- - with the thoughts on the root and sinus cavity. One of the first questions from Dan was whether it was an upper molar or lower molar... It is an upper and yes the root comes very close to the sinus cavity. Final report from the dentist is that the root looks good so at least that part is a nice sigh of relief !

Dave

Good to hear it's all working out.

It might be good for your dentist to call DAN, too, if you're concerned post-op. That way they can speak the same language and provide a better recommendation.

I am an expert and it sounds like you just broke a cusp. Should be fine until you can get a crown on it.

I had the crown and upper part of a molar fall out 2 1/2 years ago. I've never had it fixed (I was on my way to Belize and Honduras for two months when it happened and the dentist was going to charge way too much). So far it has been fine, no pain at all... only an occasional twinge. Of course I do plan to get it removed eventually, but it hasn't caused a problem yet. Of course your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom