Help, please, just arrived Coz and need a dentist recommendation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had this "tooth squeeze" several times. My solution is to take Sudafed each day and go very slowly on descent. If it starts to hurt I come up a bit and it clears

Went to Socorro in Feb. Had same issue. Dived all week with it. Came home and a CT later showed that I had a failed root canal from 35 years ago. Endo told me I could dive the next day after re-treatment since it was a one day retreat but I probably wouldn't want to. Best advice is to listen to your endodontist.

I am apprehensive about any dental procedure, especially when I am travelling. Also, this will allow me some time to consider other dentists here
I am glad that you are diving without problems. Regard "apprehensive about any dental procedure, especially when I am travelling," I save my dental work until I get to Cozumel. The one I've used there is so much easier to work with than any near me, and so much cheaper. All that I have needed in recent years was denture cleaning, then more recently getting a lost denture tooth replaced, but no one in a city of 20K would deal with it. They all insisted that they'd need to send it off to a lab in Lubbock. I got both done there in an hour for $85, and I am very happy with the work.
I have had this "tooth squeeze" several times. My solution is to take Sudafed each day and go very slowly on descent. If it starts to hurt I come up a bit and it clears
This is not the forum to be discussing such really, but for a tooth squeeze I'd suspect a pocket of bacteria growth. I take real Sudafed containing Pseudoephedrine daily for my allergies, smuggle it into Mexico every trip since it's prohibited so I can clear my ears, but I don't see how it would help with a tooth squeeze.

I am glad that you are diving without problems. Regard "apprehensive about any dental procedure, especially when I am travelling," I save my dental work until I get to Cozumel. The one I've used there is so much easier to work with than any near me, and so much cheaper. All that I have needed in recent years was denture cleaning, then more recently getting a lost denture tooth replaced, but no one in a city of 20K would deal with it.

Good to know @DandyDon that you are comfortable with your dentist connections in Coz. My concern is that any complication at all would impact negatively on my dive itinerary. If pain/discomfort returns and is prolonged--I will be seeing a dentist here. Dental expense here in Coz is priced more reasonably than back in Toronto, though I do have insurance.

As someone who has had a couple gnarly dental emergencies when traveling before, my advice would be, if you're not in pain then carry on until you get home.

The worst that happened to me was when I once cracked a molar right down the middle while eating dinner 2,000 miles and 1 week from coming home. Half the tooth came out of my mouth right there at the table. After consulting with my dentist over the phone he said if I'm not in too much pain it was ok to wait. I just used Orajel on it for a week and ate on the other side of my mouth. Got the root canal and crown when I got home and everything was fine. From the sounds of it my situation was a little more painful than yours but it still turned out ok.

Obviously you should consult with a medical/dental pro and make your own decision. I'm just sharing my story to hopefully help put your mind at ease if you decide to wait. If it doesn't hurt, you'll survive for 2 weeks. Enjoy your diving! Also, be wary of hamburgers that might have a big chunk of bone in them. That's what did my molar in. :D

Update: I purchased some Ibuprofen to have on hand in the event of pain/discomfort. Happy to report I carried on with my dive itinerary for the past 2 weeks (23 dives) without any fuss. After an 18-month hiatus (due to Covid concerns) it was wonderful to be back in the water!

Thank you all for your input--I have learned a fair bit about navigating dental concerns here. It will serve me well in future trips to Coz.

I arrived Coz on Sunday, Sept. 5. Today, Monday, I went for 2 dives. The 2nd dive was problematic in that the last 2 minutes while I was wrapping up a safety stop and doing a slow ascent to the surface, I experienced a very sharp pain in the upper left side of my mouth around a tooth and the gum. The pain lasted a few minutes, and subsided once I was out of the water.

Late this afternoon I went to the International Hospital on Calle 5(?) around the corner from Casa Mexicana. The dentist there took an X-ray, said I had a cracked filling and would need a root canal. I made a tentative appointment for this Wed. a.m. to have the root canal done. I forgot to ask him about the followup "crown". I am hoping I can leave that until I return to Canada on Sept. 19.

Any advice for me? Find another dental source? How long to stay out of the water after the procedure? Wait til I'm back home for a crown? Risk diving tomorrow and see "how it goes"?
I had experienced it for the first time last month. And it hurts a lot! I felt like a rammed through my right back lower molar. Slowly my cheekbone also started to ache. I had to see a dentist and he prescribed me antibiotics. It helped me to cope up with my pain. So better to visit a dentist to get a permanent solution. Hope you feel better soon!

Update: I purchased some Ibuprofen to have on hand in the event of pain/discomfort. Happy to report I carried on with my dive itinerary for the past 2 weeks (23 dives) without any fuss. After an 18-month hiatus (due to Covid concerns) it was wonderful to be back in the water!
So glad you didn't miss that wild night dive brownie (along with the other 22 dives)

It was great diving with you your first week! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom