Moisture Munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Kind of an odd question but I'd appreciate any help. It involves the moisture muncher packets that go inside camera housings. I'm not talking about the capsule type plastic ones, but the paper ones. Heard a rumor if you dry them in the oven they can be reused. Anybody know if thats true and exactly how to dry them (temperature, duration)?

I totally depends on what the 'paper' covering is made of. I buy silica gel packs that change color from blue to pink when they are saturated. They are cheap enough to throw away and really aren't reated to be rejuvenated. But I've put them on a sheet in the oven set to 200º for 90 min. Just keep an eye on them and don't 'toast' them!

hi dee... love your dee-rags.... when i scrape a few bucks together after dropping for a new oly5050 and pt-015 etc.... i'll get china red or nitrox!!!

but...... the main question. the pt-015 manual recommends replacing the freakin' silica paks EVERY DIVE!!!!! eeks. where do you get yours that actually lets you know when it's time to replace.

tanx in advance

Meekal, thanks....just let me know when ya need them!!

I get my silica paks from the same place tnk120184 posted, PreserveSmart.

When on a trip, I replace mine once a day and usually the indicators are just beginning to turn. That's why I like the ones that change colors....so I'm not replacing them too often.

Just another option on the silica. I use the loose beaded rechargeable type also from http://preservesmart.com/
I put a spoonful or so in a cut off piece of nylon stocking with a twist tie. It works great and is easily recharged in a toaster oven. I change it after every dive. I place the stocking in the void next to the camera lens in the PT-010 housing. I have some pics of it under the "Condensation" category section of my website:
http://kayakdiver.com/olympus/index.htm

You can get silica gel packs, paper, plastic, or bulk, from McMaster Carr. They have about 20 different size packaged ones. I got about 400 of the size for a PT-015 for around $25.00. They have a website. Just use the search function for 'silica gel'.

ok I know you need then what ones do you all recommend for the OLY PT-015 houseing with the OLY C 5050 and wear exactly do you put them and do you use one or two thanks . also any info one ones change color I like that idea .

medic 13 I use the ones that change from blue to pink when recharging is needed. Check out how and where I put them in my PT-010. The info is under the "condensation" category on my site
click here and see if they will likewise fit in your PT-015. They have worked for me every time.
:shades:

I get my silica paks from the same place tnk120184 posted, PreserveSmart
Dee, I have a friend coming over in Dec. so I was thinking of ordering a packet of 50 of the 2 gram packs from preservesmart. Do they fit well in the PT-015? And have you ever tried rejuvenating them out in an oven?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom