moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You can rejuvenate them by placing them in a sealed container with silica gel drying crystals ( the kind used for drying flowers). They will turn blue again in a few days. I got mine at JO-Ann Fabrics. It's available at most craft stores You do need to wipe them off before placing them in the camera

Just go to a hearing aid store.
They sell a jar people put hearing aids in, put the pellets in bags, your all set.
When all the blue pellets turn white, thorw them in the oven and your good to go again.
It was $10 for a baby food size jar.

We talked about these a couple of months ago here. I got a 42 oz/half-gallon of Damp Rid at Walgreens for $4 - keep it inside a 2 gallon zip lock.
[c]
6521231.JPG

[/c]
I put a cup in zip lock, added pink munchers, dark blue in days. Now I just keep them all in there. I've used a dozen or so since but still have them all, all blue. I have no idea when I'll need to replace the first cup. Probly the same stuff Reeldive is using. Y'all can bake them if you wish, I rejuv mine on the go traveling Mexico and New Mexico and have not seen a pink one since even a day after returning to the ziplock.

Last edited:
FYI, just because the indicator beads change back does not mean you recharged the desiccant. The indicator beads do not absorb a lot of moisture like the desiccant beads do. I can put the small bags used in my camera housing back in the large jar and all the indicators will turn back within a few hours. However, if I try to use that bag in my housing again, the indicators quickly change back because the desiccant has not recharged. Most rechargable desiccant needs a large increase in temperature for it to release absorbed moisture.

I have been using DampRid to reactivate my Moisture Munchers for over a year and find that they stay "blue" in the camera housing for over a day of use. I do change them out every day and put them back in a separate bag and then recharge them at home. I carry enough recharged tubes so I have a new one each day and then recharge them for a week or more before reusing.

If you try and put them in DampRid for a day or so and then reuse, you might have a problem - but after a week, they last longer in the camera than they do out of the factory package (the old style).

I guess I should save mine like TNT rather than just adding a pink one and pulling a blue one - but I suppose that with 10 munchers in the bag, I got lucky on the pulls. They do indeed seem to last longer than new ones.

You know how a new package is so blue until you open it and remove one, then they all start turning, not just the one you removed? Put the whole package in the DampRid so they stay new. At $1 each, it always pissed me to see the other 9 going bad without use.

One jar of desiccant made enough little bags to keep 2 camera's nice and dry for more than a weeks vacation. And it comes in a JAR, just keep the lid on and the rest is fine. And the jar was only $10.

I goofed at 1:42am Texas time, not quite awake then. Just edited my first post to the correct size: "42 oz/half-gallon of Damp Rid at Walgreens for $4" - it's been a lonnnng time since I bought milk in that size carton. I knew I recognized it, but took a while. I may have 50c worth in that ziplock I carried around Mexico for a week last month, changing out munchers every day, plus a few more last weekend in New Mexico - but it shows no sign of being used up. Wonder how long 4-bits worth will last me...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom