Moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just happened across DampRid this weekend. How long this stuff supposed to take? I'm used to quick results (30 min or so in the oven), but after 48 hrs in a sealed container the pink capsules are still pink capsules!

Jim, PM me your addy. I'll be happy to send you some.

Hey, thanks John. I was in Bonaire when you posted that, and I never saw it till I was re-reading posts about DampRid this evening.

I figured the stuff wouldn't be too difficult to locate, but I never actively looked until this weekend.

My oven has been down for weeks now, and an entire new touch pad had to be special ordered before it can be repaired, so my normal oven drying method is unavailable for a few more weeks. :shakehead: We're going to Rhode Island Tues for a quick day trip and..... no blue caps in my bag, so it was time to track down the DampRid, and give it a try. As I said above, after 48 hrs I am not impressed with the results, but I have till tomorrow night, so we'll see.

If they are still bright pink then, I'm popping one into the micro on low to see what happens.

Just happened across DampRid this weekend. How long this stuff supposed to take? I'm used to quick results (30 min or so in the oven), but after 48 hrs in a sealed container the pink capsules are still pink capsules!
The should turn blue in 2 or 3 days, but really take 5 or 6 to work fully. Just put the ones that are recharging in a second, marked bag with half of the Damp Rid, then combine at the end of the trip. Still better than heating one or two at a time.

Normally I'm doing 8 to 10 caps at a time, and simply using the oven, already preheated from other uses (feeding me and my teenagers), but that was not an option this time, as the oven is out of service.
I'm only doing a quick 2 tank trip tomorrow, so one or two caps is all I really needed this time anyway.
At least now I have a container of the stuff to store the caps in, which sounds like the best option. Store them in DampRid, and then if needed during a series of dives, I can quickly recharge a handfull in the oven.

Wow, theres lots of info here. I'm wondering if I could use the MM or Damprid to dry out my dive gear. I went on a dive last week and my gloves and boots are still moist around the finger tips and the toes. We've had some pretty chilly weather so nothing in the sun will dry. If I drop some Damprid in there, do you think it will dry my dive gear?

Loose, I think it'd stick to the wet neoprene and cause a mess, but it wouldn't hurt to try. In a special container like you might hang in a gun rack, you could hang it on the side of a cooler with gear inside and close the lid well. You can't dry your gloves and booties in the house?

EAeroFly, since the instructions that come with the product say that it turns to liquid at the end of it's life, when it's absorbed as much water water as it can, I would not pour DampRid into your gloves or boots. As Don suggests this might get messy!

Back to rejuvenating the MM capsules, it took a full 7 days for the pink caps to return to a blue even close to the color I get with the oven technique. For quick rejuvenation the oven certainly does the trick much more quickly, but from now on all my MM caps will be stored in the DampRid. This should help avoid my last minute need to rejuvenate them before a dive trip, and avoid having to bake dry them afterward, if I'm not in a hurry.

Thank you Don and SkipperJohn for suggesting the product. It certainly does do what you claim, and will remain one of the tools in my camera bag of tricks!

Never expected to be without my oven for two months, but it certainly gave me the incentive to locate the DampRid. Yesterday the computer part of the darned stove finally arrived from the factory, and I'm back in business with an oven. :shakehead: Frig'n JennAire gas/electric grill/stove set up turned out to have been a poor investment, cause it's so hard to get service and parts! :shakehead:

It should work for drying hard to reach places, but as mentioned it softens and eventually liquifies as it absorbs water, and it's a salt, so you don't want to have it sticking to anything where it could irritate skin or cause rust or damage. You could put it into a fine synthetic mesh bag. There's a limit to how much it will absorb (I've seen the figure but don't recall it) so you'd have to use enough - using extra would help keep it less liquid too - so it would work best for finishing off things that are already mostly dried. A little heat, like in the oven, would probably be a simpler solution to your situation.

Hanging pieces near a sunny window for a short time and using a fan also speed up drying when you can't dry outdoors. Like all this wet wet summer here in upstate NY! :shakehead:

EAeroFly, since the instructions that come with the product say that it turns to liquid at the end of it's life, when it's absorbed as much water water as it can, I would not pour DampRid into your gloves or boots. As Don suggests this might get messy!

Back to rejuvenating the MM capsules, it took a full 7 days for the pink caps to return to a blue even close to the color I get with the oven technique. For quick rejuvenation the oven certainly does the trick much more quickly, but from now on all my MM caps will be stored in the DampRid. This should help avoid my last minute need to rejuvenate them before a dive trip, and avoid having to bake dry them afterward, if I'm not in a hurry.

Thank you Don and SkipperJohn for suggesting the product. It certainly does do what you claim, and will remain one of the tools in my camera bag of tricks!

Never expected to be without my oven for two months, but it certainly gave me the incentive to locate the DampRid. Yesterday the computer part of the darned stove finally arrived from the factory, and I'm back in business with an oven. :shakehead: Frig'n JennAire gas/electric grill/stove set up turned out to have been a poor investment, cause it's so hard to get service and parts! :shakehead:

SkipperJohn and DD have been great cheerleaders for DampRid - but if you check Post #6 - you might find who really suggested this method originally. :D:D (I'm having a really bad day at work and could use a pat-on-the-back) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom