Moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at the LDS Saturday and could not believe my eyes. They were actually selling something called "Moisture Muncher Rejuvenater". Nothing more than 1x1 packets of silica gel. You were supposed to put your munchers and these packs in an air tight container and in 5-10 days, your Munchers are as good as new. Not sure who the manufacturer was, but they were selling 8 1x1 squares for $8. Now why didn't I think of that.
[c]:lol:[/c]

To the original poster,

I also just got a DC800 from an online dealer and the MM's were pink already. They came in a clear mini ziploc style baggie with the lens cloth in it. I went to my LDS to see if they had replacements, and they opened a brand new DC800 box, also pink and in the same packaging.

I contacted SeaLife to make sure they weren't supposed to be pink, and was told that they stopped making the munchers that came in that packaging "two years ago, and they are well out date". When I asked why their dealers are selling product with well out of date parts, SeaLife stopped responding to me. Ha.

If I'd paid $19.95 for this camera I'd be less irritated at being told that to use it properly I needed to spend an additional $10 or so. But I didn't, the camera is several hundred dollars, and I expect it to come with all working parts.

Not impressed with SeaLife customer service so far, and at this point wondering if I should just return it and get a different brand. I've been lurking here for a while and thought it was going to be a good product. Obviously there are other new purchasers that also received a camera with "well out of date" munchers. Or is the DC800 that poor a seller that multiple dealers have had their inventory in stock for two years since the munchers changed?

Grrr.

Well, the DC800 is kind of old stock; bet you got a good deal. Maybe just go to Walgreens and spend $4 on a quart of Damp Rid and stick a few tablespoons in there.

Hey, my DC600 didn't come with moisture munchers. But, the cheapest item (and considered a consumable) of the camera and easily purchased replacements certainly wouldn't "irritate" me. I would have to have the shortest fuse in history to have that set me off.

My experience with MMs after "oven recovery" vs. "damprid recovery" has produced the following...

My MMs through damprid last through one day of diving before they are light pink.

My MMs through the oven are darker and last through almost one week of repeated diving and still aren't as light pink as those from the damprid group...
---

As far as trip planning, I believe I will pack enough MMs to get me through each day of diving in my double zip-lock bag (as I have done in the past). For daily diving, I will probably continue with the damprid until it is exhausted....

We are leaving for a trip this Sat. When I checked the MM's in my 2 Sealife cases Sunday they were very pink, and the ones still sealed in the zip lock from a May trip were still quite blue, but fading a bit.
I tossed @8 MM on a cookie sheet, popped them into the oven @200d, and when it reached 200d I turned the oven down to warm and let them sit without opening the oven. When I came in from mowing @ 40 minutes later I shut the oven off to cool and later took out the prettiest dark blue MM's!
Still haven't run across DampRid, but when I do I will give it a try, but it's not a priority as I personally am very satisfied with the oven method.

One thing to watch out for on the color changes, they turn blue again before rejuvenation might be complete. One that turns dark blue after one day in DR is surely better than a pink one, but not as fully as it will be after several days in DR.

The oven approach may well get them even drier, but I hate to turn mine on at all so I am sticking with DR, the same cup in double zip locks I have used for several trips actually. Since it is virtually free, maybe I should replace it every year. :D

As I said Don, the 6 or 7 still in the double zip locks from my May trip were still more than sufficiently blue to have used, so I know they were fully rejuvinated.

The main thing is, no matter what method we use, we no longer have to replace the darned things like I was told when I bought my original DC100! THAT was a big waste!

Just a quick note on the moisture munchers that come with the cameras. These are inserted into the boxes when they are packed out and moved to the warehouse and then to the stores. However these are no longer in a vacu-sealed package so are more susceptable to taking on moisture and becoming spent. We have heard all the comments about new cameras having spent MM's and we be addressing shortly in the future with new packaging of these "sample" mm's included with the cameras.

Still haven't run across DampRid, but when I do I will give it a try,
Jim, PM me your addy. I'll be happy to send you some.

Jim, PM me your addy. I'll be happy to send you some.
Good plan. Why didn't I think of that? :silly: I would think it'd be easy to find in Albany, tho?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom