Modifying my Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I bought me a pair of Jet fins and I've put a few dives on them and love them. One problem that I have with them, though is that the foot pockets hold water and I have to dump them out after every dive. So I've been toying with the idea of putting a rectangular hole in the front of both foot pockets to allow water to dump after every dive, my old Aeris Velocity X3s had these. I'm just wondering if this will adversely effect the fins in any way, I love them the way they are and don't want to throw anything out of whack

Just carry the fins by the tips. Problem solved. Thats how i carry my jet fins.

I have been thinking of drilling just a tiny hole in mine myself, for the same reason. No way is a small hole at the toe going to have any significant effect on their efficiency or effectiveness.

---------- Post added ----------

I have one spare jet fin, maybe I will try drilling the hole in one, and see if there is any change, but I honestly expect no change what so ever, beyond no longer having to tip them over to empty them before handing them up the ladder on the boat.

In addition to holding water, the "solid" foot pocket also tends to "suction cup" itself to my turbo soles - making it a hop-and-wiggle challenge to get them off. I've considered drilling holes myself. Go for it and let us know how it goes :)

If you look at the back side of my Hollis F1's you'll notice they have holes in them for this purpose:

p6030013.jpg

This seems like a good modification to me.

Call me goofy, but I've always thought of that as a "feature". After walking across the sand, gravel, or what-not, I use the trapped water to rinse my dive boots off prior to putting them in my dive bag. It cuts down on the accumulated crap I bring home.

That said, I can't imagine a small 1/4" hole at the base of the pocket would cause any problems what-so-ever. I wouldn't go much larger than that, myself,

Call me goofy, but I've always thought of that as a "feature". After walking across the sand, gravel, or what-not, I use the trapped water to rinse my dive boots off prior to putting them in my dive bag. It cuts down on the accumulated crap I bring home.

That said, I can't imagine a small 1/4" hole at the base of the pocket would cause any problems what-so-ever. I wouldn't go much larger than that, myself,

Judging from how much water entered my camera case threw just a tiny, tiny wound in the O ring, I don't think it would require a large hole to get the fins to drain quickly. :shakehead:

Years ago I had a pair of rubber typhoon surfmasters that had just this problem. I took a drill and put two 8mm (first bit that came to hand) in the front of each foot pocket - problem solved plus no suction and no change in fin performance.

In addition to holding water, the "solid" foot pocket also tends to "suction cup" itself to my turbo soles - making it a hop-and-wiggle challenge to get them off. I've considered drilling holes myself. Go for it and let us know how it goes :)

Yeah. One of the pros I've heard about Jets is the ability to carry water. Screw that. I've a had a couple pair. Making weep holes is worth it for easier doffing. I've done so. Jets are '60's technology for crying out loud. Not saying they are not great fins for some applications or for certain skilled divers.
A lot of better choices out there without getting caught up in the Jet hype. Check out the pic of the Hollis fins above. A full sole/heal plate for leverage and to eliminate cramping. Same broad paddle for control and power as the Jets.
I've seen plenty of jet divers tearing up the bottom.

And for you guys talking about the "gimmicky" fins of today...Well Jets were named Jets because in the marketing back in the day it was claimed the vents in the fin would give forward thrust. Kind of like a split fin. :)

---------- Post added ----------

Yeah. One of the pros I've heard about Jets is the ability to carry water. Screw that. I've a had a couple pair. Making weep holes is worth it for easier doffing. I've done so. Jets are '60's technology for crying out loud. Not saying they are not great fins for some applications or for certain skilled divers.
A lot of better choices out there without getting caught up in the Jet hype. Check out the pic of the Hollis fins above. A full sole/heal plate for leverage and to eliminate cramping. Same broad paddle for control and power as the Jets.
I've seen plenty of jet divers tearing up the bottom.

And for you guys talking about the "gimmicky" fins of today...Well Jets were named Jets because in the marketing back in the day it was claimed the vents in the fin would give forward thrust. Kind of like a split fin. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom