Modifying my Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally like that they trap water, as it makes rinsing your feet after a shore dive all that much easier. The current pair I have, acquired used, have a hole drilled in the front of each pocket. Fins are fine, but I miss my old pair that weren't drilled...

So I bought me a pair of Jet fins and I've put a few dives on them and love them. One problem that I have with them, though is that the foot pockets hold water and I have to dump them out after every dive. So I've been toying with the idea of putting a rectangular hole in the front of both foot pockets to allow water to dump after every dive, my old Aeris Velocity X3s had these. I'm just wondering if this will adversely effect the fins in any way, I love them the way they are and don't want to throw anything out of whack

I always put two small holes (about 1/4 inch) in the bottom of each fin toward the top of the foot pocket. Never any problem.

I agree with you Splitlip about the ancient "tech" of Jet fins :)

I own a pair of Hollis F1 fins as well, and the foot pocket is leaps and bounds better than the 2x4" shaped one on the Jets. I'm not so crazy about the long "foot plate" though.

Think about it: it takes some fin/foot/ankle movement to do certain kicks. Some think all that movement is in the ankle, but in reality most of that rotation happens in the mid- and forefoot. So if you "lock in" the forefoot completely with a long and solid foot plate, you may loose some of that necessary rotation.

IMO the Hollis is much, much better at "scissor" kicking than the Jets. They're even - for me - for frog and modified flutter, and the Jets have the upper hand for back kicks. With just fractionally stiffer blades the Hollis would be up there with the Jets for back kicks, but might very well loose the "scissor" kick-ability.

Sorry for the thread drift - getting the drill bits out now :)

The no holes foot pocket is awesome for washing your booties off after the dive. Just exit the water carrying your fins by the straps and bamn, two cool cups of water to wash off with!

I agree with you Splitlip about the ancient "tech" of Jet fins :)

I own a pair of Hollis F1 fins as well, and the foot pocket is leaps and bounds better than the 2x4" shaped one on the Jets. I'm not so crazy about the long "foot plate" though.

Think about it: it takes some fin/foot/ankle movement to do certain kicks. Some think all that movement is in the ankle, but in reality most of that rotation happens in the mid- and forefoot. So if you "lock in" the forefoot completely with a long and solid foot plate, you may loose some of that necessary rotation.

IMO the Hollis is much, much better at "scissor" kicking than the Jets. They're even - for me - for frog and modified flutter, and the Jets have the upper hand for back kicks. With just fractionally stiffer blades the Hollis would be up there with the Jets for back kicks, but might very well loose the "scissor" kick-ability.

Sorry for the thread drift - getting the drill bits out now :)
Good points. Agree completely. those very precise maneuvers perform so much better when the fin is worked by the front of the foot.
I think I'll back out of this room quietly and have a Tito's before bed. Lol

One of my LDS shop will drill holes on jet fins pocket on customer request. They did such a nice job I once think jet find comes with holes until I got a pair used, no holes, but haven't had too much problem with it.

Like Thal, I drilled holes in mine -- but even more! Three 1/4" holes at the end each foot pocket (top/toe of the fin) for fast draining. Never fear, it works great. IMO they should come with holes.

So I bought me a pair of Jet fins and I've put a few dives on them and love them. One problem that I have with them, though is that the foot pockets hold water and I have to dump them out after every dive. So I've been toying with the idea of putting a rectangular hole in the front of both foot pockets to allow water to dump after every dive, my old Aeris Velocity X3s had these. I'm just wondering if this will adversely effect the fins in any way, I love them the way they are and don't want to throw anything out of whack
You will not do anything adverse to your fins if you drill holes in the foot pockets. I only use Jet Fins and nothing else. Taking them off after a dive was a chore, now it is not. Here are the modifications I have done and have done for friends because taking them off and putting them on is a breeze:
Take a 1/4" drill bit and drill two holes on the top three inches from the toe of the pocket. The holes are to be drilled side by side at one inch apart. Now turn them over and drill the same two holes two inches from the toe and one inch apart.
Now you are ready.
I use XL Jetfins for open water and the L for exploring around rocks and channels or bug hunting. I have had my fins for more than two years like this and no adverse effects.

Back
Top Bottom