Modifying fins, cutting, trimming etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't think of that, thanks. I'l go scour the net on vids bout the ff kicks.

Btw, on the fins I'm going to do it in steps:

1. Dive unmodified
2. Cut a slit to make it into a split as per diagram label 1
3. Cut and replace with a piece of rubber/vinyl to make a smaller version of a scoop fin as per diagram label 2
4. Cut and replace up to label 3

finmod.jpg

Regards,

SangP

Last edited:
SangP,

Take a look at the safety diver in this video:

YouTube - Rebreather Incident 2 - Incident

He uses the Force Fins in the manner I described at times (see the sequence which is at about 8:40 into video). This is quite a documentary too about rebreather safety.

SeaRat

Hi John, Could you please email me at 55fathoms@gmail.com as I have some more questions on modifying fins which would be a bit much on this posts.

Regards,

SangP

Bob, that was pretty positive; the buddy with the Force Fins rescued the distressed diver, and he at times was using the kick I described to SangP. I couldn't find the sequence from the Discovery Channel where they dove the Mexican cenote to the coast, and were doing the frog kick with Force Fins, so that is what I came up with.

SeaRat

John, I have been shown some great U.S. Navy video of two divers in Force Fins and the other two in Jet Fins but it was classified. I will see if they will allow me to put on our youtube site. You can see both pairs of divers working in heavy sea's may be 40-60 feet below. The Force fins divers move every quickly while something big and heavy was being attached. The other two divers moved slower and were lets helpful due the slower movement and weight of their fins. Their is also Jens Hilbert swimming which says it all.YouTube - ForceFin2020's Channel

Bob,

Those videos would be interesting to see. I did watch the Force Fin channel for a while, but could not see anyone using the frog kick with the top of their feet like I saw in that rescue video. In swimming we used to call it the "whip kick," and I believe it is not legal to do for someone without fins swimming competitive breast stroke, as it mimics the dolphin kick action, but using a frog kick type of kick.

SangP,

Here's my third generation scoop fin in the 1970s.

twin42s.jpg

These were called the "SeaFin," as I recall. They were really interesting, and work on the pivot principal you talked about in your PM. I put the springs on them--they were without springs, and simply flipped back and forth. Also, the blade limited their effectiveness, so I manufactured the blade like in the original patent and tried it out--much better.
SeaFinMods1.jpg

SeaFinMods3.jpg

SeaRat

John, how cool..forgot about these pilot fins. Thanks for posting. Best, Bob

John's pictures of fins with the foot pocket separated from the blade by metal rods led me to look up the "Weird Fins" page on the Apnea.cz site at
APNEA.cz - Collection of Weird Fins
where I was sure I had seen images of fins resembling his:
Variable Speed Fins. Made in USA by Fluid Flight Company. VSF are versatile high performance fins that allow a diver to swim faster, further and with less effort than other high quality fins. Patended dolphin shaped blades give high thrust with minimum kicking effort. Blade angle is adjustable to low, medium and high speed settings for use as scuba or snorkel diving fins. Kicking effort can be adjusted to a diver's personal comfort level. Adjustable heel straps fit sizes 7 to 11. The fins are black with choice of red, yellow, green or blue racing stripes (specify when ordering). VSF have been sold to sport, commerical and US NAVY SEAL divers.
2_vsf.png

SoprasSub Spider Fin. The all new fins Spider - a new product among Soprassub fins - these fins are unique in its design and material used ( thermoplast and rubber gum) and are made for snorkelling and freediving. The product boasts excellent dynamics with main benefit being that the spade remains under water surface at all times when snorkelling. Besides, thanks to different positioning of legs and spades virtually no whirling effect is created - that eliminates negative flow and water resistance when moving legs. Also, the new fins allow trouble-free walking on land.
sopras-spider.png

Back
Top Bottom