Modifying dump valve pulls ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anybody ever modified their dump valve pulls on their BC's? I sometimes have a problem finding mine during a dive, especially with gloves on. The nylon pull strings seems to have a little "give" to them after their wet. Has anyone ever replaced the strings with some other material that might give a more immediate result when you pull them?

Also, has anyone ever replaced the pulls with some thing other than the factory supplied "ball" that might be easier to find when you're groping around in low viz? Maybe something that is negative buoyant and easier to feel and find with gloves on?

I have a regular vest BC, the kind a newbie like me would buy as a first BC. Just wondering.

Thanks

Some divers feel that the factory supplied balls are too big, and are either an entanglement hazard or can be accidently snagged and therefore dump air when you don't want to. Those divers, usually in backplate and wings, will rig the dump valve with just a cord with a knot on the end --- going in the opposite direction that you want to go. The standard advice to divers learning how to use the cord with just a knot in it is to reach down to the valve, make an "OK" sign around the valve, and the squeeze down smaller as you reach backward along the cord. That technique should work even easier with the standard ball.

If you really do want to change out the cord, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm about ready to replace the cord on my oldest BCD since the cord is wearing through. Although I haven't done it yet, it looks pretty simple. Just unscrew the dump valve and you will find a spring and a plate with a circular rubber plate. Gently pry off the rubber plate, take out the existing cord and put in a bit thicker one. You might have to drill out the hole in the plate and the cover a bit to allow a thicker cord.

Hi Charlie99,

I have really enjoyed your posts in the past, thanks for the reply.

Wow !! Just using a knotted string sounds much harder than trying to find the factory pulls! Never thought about that aspect. I don't know how they could ever find those knots with gloves on.

I was considering changing the nylon strings as you suggested but wasn't quite sure what other divers may have used. (Like some kind of coated wire maybe?)

And I realize that using bigger pull knobs could cause other entanglements and was wondering if maybe some one has ever used a different shaped pull. Like maybe something "T" shaped or some other shape that may be distinguished by feel through their diving gloves.

Thanks

On my Sherwood Avid the cord for the back dump has a knob with significant shape to it and is usually an easy find. The cord is long enough that once in a while the knob will hide under the jacket and keep the cord laying flat against the valve so it can't be found with the encircled finger. I have learned to sweep a finger under the jacket when it's not readilly found but plan to shorten the cord at some time.

A buddy added a perforated ping pong ball to the string of his DSS wing.

Scubapro uses a very distinctive 4 spoked knob last I knew, very tactile.

What works works. Your gloves, sense of feel or dexterity may not match the R&D team that created the thing.

Pete

Hi Spectrum,

I also have a problem with the knob sometimes hiding behind the shoulder strap pull. I am going to shorten the string too but wanted some feedback before I get into it.

Thanks for the Scubapro advise. I'm picking up a couple of Nitrox tanks tomorrow at an LDS that's a Scubapro dealer and will ask him about maybe looking at some of those knobs.

Right now I bounce between a NAUI LDS and a PADI LDS, as you can tell by my certs. The PADI shop didn't have any real advise as to changing the dump valve pulls but now I will check with the NAUI shop.

Thanks for the help and I enjoy your postings. You do a great job. Being new to diving, I can't tell you how much all the postings of Scubaboard have educated me on the do's and don'ts.

Seriously, I have been "saved" from a few bad situations because of what I have learned here. Keep up the good work.

I changed mine out on 3 BC's so far (just follow Charlie99's instructions - they are "spot on") I replaced mine with heavier cord (24# I believe) and a couple of knots. I actually had trouble with the ball gettin caught early on when learning to dive - 2x it got caught between the fingers of a coral head and I got stuck. So I chopped them off - took 6-10 dives to get used to finding the string without the ball and now I don't even think about it - I normally dive with bare hands, however I have dove with 5mil gloves and still was able to find the string without much trouble (though it was odd not being able to "feel" it between my fingers)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. yeah - I'm one of those BP/W guys :wink:

kidspot:
I normally dive with bare hands

Now that's a novelty around here!

When i used to dive a scuba pro bc, I replaced the knob on the shoulder dump with a bright yellow golf ball.....very easy to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom