Modifying Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nt

nt

I finally found that website again when I got home from work:

http://www.tue.org.uk/Bolt snaps.htm

The website has a bunch of DIR configuration pictures, hints, and tips - and this page on bolt snaps was among them.

If the bolt snap thumb slides are a possible line snag/hazard of significance, why isn't grinding them down "standard".

As someone newly exposed to the DIR philosophy/method/mindset, it seems stange to me that some practices are gospel to some, but laughed at by others.

Thanks for the replies all, especially to O-Ring....

- Marc

If the bolt snap thumb slides are a possible line snag/hazard of significance, why isn't grinding them down "standard".

As someone newly exposed to the DIR philosophy/method/mindset, it seems stange to me that some practices are gospel to some, but laughed at by others.
Excellent question actually..and I don't really have an answer. For me, I just looked at the number of times that I have had line snagged in bolt snap thumb slides (zero) and the number of bolt snaps I carry on me that I can't easily reach and clear should line get entangled in them (zero) and decided not to mess with it.

This is the reply I got from T.U.E. when I asked them about the modified bolt snaps on their web page:

" I am quite surprised that EE/Halcyon/GUE/WKPP don't use/make/recommend them. On a recent OHE course the ONLY boltsnap that caught any line was...........yup you've guessed was the ONLY one that I hadn't removed the entrapment point from! Needless to say this really proved my point as to why these little excess bits should be removed.
Stainless boltsnaps are the attachment point, "trimmed" ones are safer and better. The only problem is cutting the stainless steel (its VERY hard)! Typical places where "untrimmed" boltsnaps can catch line are: boltsnap on the Goodman handle, boltsnap on a Pathfinder reel (this is modified from the EE version, it comes standard with a double ender, this has an uncanny act of undoing itself from the reel when you and your buddy are not looking, we "modify" this by attaching a trimmed boltsnap with cave line, the length of cave line is enough to let the boltsnap lay flat along the handle when in use).

Hope this helps, if there is any thing else I can help with just let me know.

The web site is fairly new, any comments?

Safe diving,

Mike
Torbay Underwater Explorers.
Visit www.tue.org.uk for DIR diving in Devon"

With all of that said, and with the amount and type of diving that I typically do (open water, north California...), I'm going to leave mine un-modified for now.

Thanks again for all the insights and opinions....

- Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom