Modifying Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

power2x1

Reaction score
Has anyone modified their bolt snaps - filing down the thumb triggers? I stumbled across a web page a while back that showed the modifications, but I can't seem find it again.

Comments for/against making the modification...?

Thanks,
Marc

power2x1 once bubbled...
Has anyone modified their bolt snaps - filing down the thumb triggers? Comments for/against making the modification...?

Thanks,
Marc

My PPO2:

I am not quite certain why anyone would want to do this. To assert that this would somehow decrease the risk of entanglement would be to avoid the more obvious. It certainly would make it much harder to release the damned things, and there are times when you certainly would want to release them, such as when handing off an auxiliary bottle, etc. There are much better things to spend your time on when it comes to streamlining and tucking gear!:wink:

The guys I know that have done it have used a dremel or other suitable grinder. I haven't had much problem with those things trapping line, so I never bothered...too much hassle, IMHO.

Cave diving section of Home Depot sells the small rechargeable dremel tools and you can sit and grind to your heart's content... but I'm with the rest of you folks... why bother... I can however see using the dremel to take off sharp edges -- which here in the land of drygloves, many of us do bother to do....

Cave diving section of Home Depot
I have always wondered why they didn't label it as such..

Eric... I was at a HD store in Ohio one time looking for wing nuts for my doubles (don't ask) and the guy helping me out asked: "Hey bud, you a cave diver?" Go figure... Florida I can understand, but Holland, Ohio?

I agree that there are better (and more useful...) ways to streamline - I was mainly interested in finding out why someone would want to file down their bolt snaps. The guys at the local dive shop hadn't heard of anyone doing this, and wondered about the motivation for doing so - which made me more than a little curious too.

Line snagging might be part of it, but I'm sure those who have done so have other reasons.

O-Ring - any other possibilities? You seem to have exposure to "grinders"...

If I'm going to do something (or not do it, for that matter), I like to least have a good reason for doing (or not doing...) so. I'm not one to blindly do something just because someone else is doing it

- Marc

"Hey - where'd all the lemmings go?"

and lost a stringer with a big fish on it as a consequence.

There was a strong series of 4-letter words emitted through my regulator as I watched the barracudas under the boat devour my feast.

However, I doubt that modifying the "trigger part" would have changed the outcome here.

O-Ring - any other possibilities? You seem to have exposure to "grinders"...
But a picture is worth a thousand words, right? What people are grinding off is the little notch in the thumb slide so it doesn't catch lines. See the pics below.

nt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom