Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Finished a mod of my DS161 strobes to use on my Philippines trip in two months.

I wasn't completely happy with the color produced by a normal flash as it's more washed out and not quite as "natural" as I'd like. To solve I tested a low, medium, and dark blue plexiglass on an aquarium. My personal preference was for the darker coloration and having two strobes doesn't seem to be lacking on brightness... Will know for sure soon enough.

I took the stock diffuser and cut out the middle to preserve the locking mechanism and then cut the plexiglass with a 3" hole saw. The cutout was made easier by cutting a hole in a piece of wood first to use as a guide, this also allowed me to not use the drill bit on the hole saw. Then I used a grinder to take down the edge of the plexiglass just a smidgen more for a snug fit. I still need to drill a few air holes.

I don't plan to use a yellow filter on the lens at night as I personally prefer the look without. In total I spent ~$30 and made a torch filter as well.

IMG_20160320_174246021_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160320_173400257_HDR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom