modifications to turbo soles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'd have done that, but when my suit was at DUI for other repairs, they were very kind to me and patched/reinforced the existing TurboSoles for me as a courtesy. I really appreciated their service on it... this time, when they wear out, they will get the Diving Concepts boots, though. I like a hard toe cup and a rigid heel (but not carrying around separate boots...)

For what it's worth, I re-did the inner-tube strips with Shoe Goo. That stuff is amazing -- it's way stronger than the seal cement I used the first time, and rock-solid. Clearly reduces the tendency of the fin to slide down the foot.

I also put some seam tape around the vinyl hose that's slipped over my springs on my straps. The sticky-rubber on rubber thing is working pretty good for now...

Thanks, Camerone.

I haven't found a footgear solution for a dry suit that I can 100% recommend yet. I have had integrated boots, and have kicked out of them (and the fins attached to them) with the result of a feet-first ascent I couldn't arrest in any way. Not good.

I have kicked out of a shoe-type arrangement. I'm never using anything that doesn't somehow tighten down around the ankle again.

I have used a variety of rock boot type footgear, and I found that a) they're a PITA to get on and then lace up and tighten down appropriately, and b) if laced up tight enough to be really secure, they compress my socks and my feet get cold.

The Turbosoles don't have much sole padding, which I wish I had, and have no ankle support at all, which I wish I had, but they insulate the feet well and the velcro strap around the ankle means you CAN'T kick out of them. They will fit in my existing fins, unlike some of the nice rock boots, which would require me to go up to XL Jets, which I don't want to do. If I can solve the spring strap problem and get the straps to sit where they feel and are secure on my Achilles tendon above my heel, I think I will judge them the best solution so far.

Funny how little things like this can really become a focus, once you've optimized the rest of your gear!

The Turbosoles don't have much sole padding, which I wish I had, and have no ankle support at all, which I wish I had, but they insulate the feet well and the velcro strap around the ankle means you CAN'T kick out of them. They will fit in my existing fins, unlike some of the nice rock boots, which would require me to go up to XL Jets, which I don't want to do. If I can solve the spring strap problem and get the straps to sit where they feel and are secure on my Achilles tendon above my heel, I think I will judge them the best solution so far.

Funny how little things like this can really become a focus, once you've optimized the rest of your gear!
Yeah, my TurboSoles are deliberately sized one size below where DUI thinks I need them to be. I then have 400g thinsulate booties I sewed myself which fill them pretty tightly...almost too tightly. That keeps them from going anywhere.

The best luck I had was with my old Andy's suit. They had thick wellington boots on there, which were very warm - to the point I wore regular gym socks underneath! They were unfortunately a bit buoyant, but Jet Fins are so negative it wasn't an issue. The part I really liked about them, though - they had a little rubber block right over the Achilles tendon area...rectangular, and about a quarter inch thick, by about an inch wide and half an inch tall. You just made sure your fin strap was higher than the block and there was no way it could ever slip down.

On my shop "to-do" list once I get the milling machine running again is to make a mold to pour a rubber "heel cup" that I can shoe-goo on to the suit and give me the same functionality... but the to-do list is long, and I'm busy getting in the water lately :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom