Suggestion Moderator names

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MikeC

MikeC

Contributor
Reaction score
Pete and all, what do you think of either having a sticky somewhere that has a list of the moderators and their real first names or in their on-line profiles they put their first name. With a few mods they use their name as there screen name, Rick M. for example but "The Kraken"??? If I want to PM him it is weird to say "Greetings The Kraken..."

Some might argue that a real "reader" of this site would know the names, from various posts or personal communications, but what about a rookie or someone who hasn't looked for names?

My name is bob ... but just to confuse people I always spell it backwards ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dlndavid:
Princess Bride?
Iocaine powder... I'd bet my life on it.
Rick

Wristshot:
Response to Mike and any other readers:
Why would you need anyone's real name in order to communicate with them? Why should your desire to appear "familiar" override the wishes of others?

Wristshot

IF I was going to PM you, starting the note with a real name just is nicer then saying wristshot. I am a member of a firearms forum where all the mods' first names are known. Several use their complete name as a screen name and it is weird to me that people here are not more open.

MikeC:
IF I was going to PM you, starting the note with a real name just is nicer then saying wristshot. I am a member of a firearms forum where all the mods' first names are known. Several use their complete name as a screen name and it is weird to me that people here are not more open.
Well privacy is a personal thing. I don't personally care so I use my real name, but I can understand if others don't want to. These days the internet can be a funny place sometimes so I can understand that some might have more reservations. It is something that should remain personal choice though. I think we would lose a lot of female members (and some male) , if real names became in any way compulsory. If I lived in the US I might also think twice about using my own real name.

MikeC:
I am a member of a firearms forum where all the mods' first names are known. Several use their complete name as a screen name and it is weird to me that people here are not more open.
That's cuz on THAT forum all the moderators carry guns ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, maybe that is the answer. The thing that is baffling to me is I asked about just a first name, not full name, street address and city. If a mod was also in law enforcement I could see concern.

What is truly strange is that one of the mods who doesn't share my view has a link in their profile to their personal web site and that link includes very personal info. So much for anonymity.

MikeC:
What is truly strange is that one of the mods who doesn't share my view has a link in their profile to their personal web site and that link includes very personal info. So much for anonymity.

LOL! Yup, John has a good bit of detail there. Very ironic.

Back
Top Bottom