Moderation: Too much or too little?

What is your GENERAL feeling about SB moderation?

• I'd like to see more moderation

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like to see less moderation

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I think the current level of moderation is fine.

Votes: 74 66.1%
  • I have another opinion - state below

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... norms ... I *thought* I had a pretty good grasp on them, until lately, but it seems like what is accepted and isn't, is different than it used to be. Or maybe accepted isn't the right word - maybe it's allowed, or encouraged ...
I know nothing about the case that brought on this uncomfortable confusion for you, but I can pretty well guess the process. When a user gets that first moderation, it is often a surprise because the post is essentially like other posts they've been making for quite a while. So, what's changed? Almost always, it is because the post has broken the "radar horizon" of another user's tolerance, and been reported, with a reason why *that* post is offensive and breaks the rules of the TOS in the mind of the reporter. Most of the time the reporter gets an answer along the lines of "I see your point, but that post doesn't really break the TOS," but sometimes there's a clear violation and moderation is required. And sometimes... well, sometimes there's a spirited discussion in the back room on whether moderation should occur or not, and the decision may seem on the surface to be capricious when in fact it's been quite the opposite.
Mods must weigh the intent of the poster against the perception of the reporter and try to divine the mind of the average user - sometimes pretty easy, often quite difficult.
I'll give you a specific example - recently, in the midst of a class up at Auburn, a young lady interrupted me and called me to task for using the term "chicks" to refer to girls. The rest of the class chuckled... I was totally surprised by her complaint! I *had* used the term "chicks" to refer to a Divemaster's group - as in "mother hen and her chicks." The class as a whole understood what I was saying, but this young lady was so keen on the word that the message had flown by her completely. So, moderate or not?
Bottom line... continue to say what you mean, mean what you say, but realize the message received is the message, and that may not be the message sent at all :)
Rick

I am sorry to see the :popcorn: smiley go. Luckily we still have the :deadhorse: though, so people who find humor in a "joke" that's been repeated thousands of times on this board alone can still reveal themselves for the completely unoriginal (half-) wits that they are.

:popcorn: apparently isn't violent enough ... :kicknut:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:popcorn: apparently isn't violent enough ... :kicknut:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hidden camera photo of a recent "backroom" discussion

D_LEMUR-badbadvery-bad-no-popcorn-for-you.jpg

I see someone's decided to give us a snarky replacement for the popcorn smiley.

It's a perfect example of what I was referring to about certain mods ... or in this case probably not a mod, but a senior advisor ... wanting to push their authority into the faces of the members here. They couldn't just leave it alone ... they had to make a statement.

That is truly uncalled for, and whoever did that should have left it alone ... it just eggs people on.

Poor judgement, to my concern ... and for no reason other than because they can ... :shakehead:

Perhaps a rational explanation for why you found the popcorn smiley objectionable would've been more constructive ... but that would've required you treating the membership of ScubaBoard like adults ... and acting like one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suspect someone is a little light in the loafers with that smilie......not that there is anything wrong with that. We endeavour to be an inclusive group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom