Mobile Dive shanty...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NadMat

DIMWIT Swamper ;)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a new DIY project converting an old pop up camper for use as a dive trailer. The roof is currently bad, as is most of canvas, I can get another p/u cheaper than I can make this one function as one again. But the trailer frame and basic interior structure are good so I plan on removing roof and crank structure as well as several cabinets toward the front, increasing open storage. I plan on keeping sink and stove cabinets as well as dinette seating, but removing slide out ends.

I will use a custom sewn tarp cover attached around exterior to cover contents for trailering and adapt or figure out some pop up shade cover or enclosure to use. I plan on adding increased water capacity as well as powered pumps and ac/propane water heating system to supply interior sink as well as outside shower/rinse stations. If funding allows, I would love to add a couple of cascade tanks and fill station under one side of dining seat, with outside station access, and a 5000psi portable air station to feed them when set up at site.

The idea is to provide a common shelter area with gear/self rinsing capabilities as well as gear lugging capabilities, and eventually air fill capabilities for scuba weekends/weeks 

The base camper is a coleman brandywine, about 6 wide by 11 long. I should end up with about a 3 X 6 open floor storage space in front of trailer when configured for travel which will be open space with a small bench area along front of trailer when set up at site. A bottle rack or two that can be moved outside at site will go in front area with some sort method to secure for travel. One side of under dinette seating would hold two cascade bottles perfectly in a horizontal orientation. Other side of dinette seating will contain water heating and pumping equipment, with water storage being moved to an under trailer storage tank.

I plan on doing the deconstruct this spring with a working trailer by end of summer, although without much systems restoration or improvement at that point.

In the meantime, all reasonable suggestions or improvement ideas will be considered. I do plan on having built in server somewhere for wifi access, for after dive SB posting :wink:

Would also serve as a common base for non scuba weekends such as mountain biking/camping trips.

You can also let me in on any of your rv supply sources.

Attachments

• diveshanty.pdf
    4.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
I keep saying I'm going to do something like that but the day's, week's, and month's keep piling up and I still haven't gotten off my lazy butt.....

sounds like a great idea...

but are you sure the axle on the popup will support the weight of tanks, water (as shown on your diagram) and all your other tanks/gear?

the reason I ask this is that most pop-up's have a very light weight axel and tire system.

sounds like a great idea...

but are you sure the axle on the popup will support the weight of tanks, water (as shown on your diagram) and all your other tanks/gear?

the reason I ask this is that most pop-up's have a very light weight axel and tire system.
Thanks for the input Mike,
I upgraded axle and tires a long time ago to get better ground clearance and bigger tires for lower rpms at highways speeds(also towed better that way behind my lifted 4by). With loss of existing roof/crank system and bed platforms weight I should be fine total weight wise, although I will want to pay attention to distributing the weight properly on/in trailer.

even with original axle/tires and fully stocked camper,I would load it up with 2-4 tanks and 2-4 sets of gear for a scuba/camping weekend.

I will be watching total vehicle weight and probably adding trailer brakes to help handle extra loading.

You might want to split the cascade cylinders. That is a lot of weight in one place but the water tanks might offset it. If you plan to carry the cylinders connected, be sure to put cage covers in place of the valve covers to protect the valves.

Ok... didn't realized you were removing the pop up top.

are you building all new enclosures?

There are some great threads on here and Decostop of where people have built trailers. Might lend to some great ideas. One of these day's I'd like to build one.... (one of these days).

I like the one that BigKen462 built. It's on a 6x12 enclosed trailer with closetmaid shelves on one side and hanging rack on the other. Under the hanging rack he's got strap down locations for his tanks. up in the fron he's got a large workbench area that doubles as a place to assemble and put on his backplate and double tanks.

I've seen lots of great ideas on different threads....

mike

I bought an old 8' slide in camper for my truck. it was only $200.00 and use it as a winter mobile dive shack, It's not pretty but it's some place warm to change and dry off.

Dick

Every time i drive buy my local u haul the have a small fleet of used stuff for sale i think one of the smaller trucks would be cool all set up they can also carry good amount of gear keeps my wheels spinning mybe someday put one together

Every time i drive buy my local u haul the have a small fleet of used stuff for sale i think one of the smaller trucks would be cool all set up they can also carry good amount of gear keeps my wheels spinning mybe someday put one together

I'd be afraid of owning one of those used U-haul trucks...

they have such a poor maintenance record on the trucks they want to keep, you know the one's they are getting rid of have got to be worse...

I'd be too afraid the brakes would go out on the thing or worse, hitting someone because of that.

Buying one of those U-haul trucks has got to be a "money pit" in the long run to keep the thing running....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom