Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading back to cebu with my bro who is a non-diver.

One of the cool things about Balicasag Island, other than the world class diving, is the fact that non-divers who are with me can snorkel atop the wall while I do my dive.

I hear Moalboal (never been) is mostly wall dives. Can snorkeling be be done there while I dive?

Thanks,

Jeff

Some of the shallow coral reefs along the coast of Moalboal are among the best that I have seen in the country .

Thanks but I would like to know can snorkeling be done at the specific location where I'm diving, as I mentioned can be done in Bohol.

Ask the dive shop and it might come down to other divers as well.
Pick a dive operator which has the most dive boats and request to have one especially for you and your buddy or charter one privately.

I would most likely arrange for a private boat if thats possible.

Which specific dive sites would be best suited for this; wall dive where others could snorkel above the wall?

I hear Moalboal (never been) is mostly wall dives. Can snorkeling be be done there while I dive?

Thanks,

Jeff

Most of the resorts are located at Panagsama Beach, where you can walk off the rocky beach with your gear and drop down a wall. Yes snorkling can be done also right from beach along the wall.

Panagsama Beach is also the boat jump off point to Pascador island where there is a large school of sardines circling around the island.

The local Pinoy dive shop is Nelsons and has affordable tank rentals and boat going to Pescador Island in the morning. Afternoons is other dive spots depending on the demand.

The more affordable accommodations are at the South End of the beach. I prefer Loves Beach Resort because the rooms are decent and there is a pool. You can also dive right off their rocky beach.

It is about a 10 minute walk with gear / tanks between Loves and Nelsons or you can hire a trike to haul you and your gear.

I don't have any vested interest in the places I mentioned. I am sure other locals would agree or disagree.

I would most likely arrange for a private boat if thats possible.

Which specific dive sites would be best suited for this; wall dive where others could snorkel above the wall?

Hiring a private boat is not as easy as you think around Moalboal, of course possible but you may wait around for the boat to arrive if at all.

But if you are up for it contact Rolando V. Ortega at the Pacifico Lodge, best to show up and ask to speak to the daughter to arrange it. But give at least a day in advance.

Getting your private boat you can then go up to White Beach between dives, but make sure you explain to the person you are arranging the boat with where you want to go before, or prepared to give a little extra for more fuel used.

Your friends can snorkel above anywhere you are diving in Moalboal. There is a lot to see even snorkeling. When diving there is a very good chance to see a few turtles. I see turtles every time.

Good info DonCebu. Thanks!

Why dive at Nelson's but not stay next door at Eve's Kiosk? It's cheap and has a pool. or why stay at Love's resort and not dive with them?

Just curious as I'm still doing my research of where to stay and who to dive with when we visit the Philippines in January.

Pescador Island is your best bet with most of the top reefscape around 5m. Beautiful corals amd great visibility.

Pescador Island is your best bet with most of the top reefscape around 5m. Beautiful corals amd great visibility.

Yes, plus the immense swarm of sardines swirling around at the northeast(?) part of Pescador, from maybe 60-70 ft all the way to the surface.

However when we were there in February, on 2 of our 3 dives at Pescador the sea was too rough and dangerous for snorkelling. Best to consult with your dive shop in advance.

For anybody who can bear with yet another sardine video: Moalboal on Vimeo :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom