Moalboal Trip Report (continuation from Malapascua Trip Report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for excellent information supporting my trip bill22. I came back with a lot of happiness. In Malapascua I dealed with divelinkcebu and found great service that I can choose my divesite. I found some dive they go out with only 1 diver. In Moalboal I dealed with Nelson with very good rate but a bit unsatisfied on only one boat available, I can not selcect my divesite and have to follow Japanese group to dive. And unluckily that my time there I found only few to take photo, so I reduced my diving plan there. Some Filipino recommend Apo and Bohol, so I will dive there again this year end. Oh one more important one traveling in CEBU by bus is quite convenient. So anybody who familiar with public service and able to take care yourselves, you can save a lot of expense on transfer.

FYI. Benjim is going to move to work at Micronesia Japanese dive shop.

Thanks for excellent information supporting my trip bill22. I came back with a lot of happiness. In Malapascua I dealed with divelinkcebu and found great service that I can choose my divesite. I found some dive they go out with only 1 diver. In Moalboal I dealed with Nelson with very good rate but a bit unsatisfied on only one boat available, I can not selcect my divesite and have to follow Japanese group to dive. And unluckily that my time there I found only few to take photo, so I reduced my diving plan there. Some Filipino recommend Apo and Bohol, so I will dive there again this year end. Oh one more important one traveling in CEBU by bus is quite convenient. So anybody who familiar with public service and able to take care yourselves, you can save a lot of expense on transfer.

FYI. Benjim is going to move to work at Micronesia Japanese dive shop.

I'm glad you had a good time :) Both places had a lot of great diving! Sorry to hear you were a little disappointed in Moalboal. Maybe time of year makes a difference.

I never asked to pick a dive site when I was there. I let Benjim pick. I would sometimes mention something in particular that I wanted to get a shot of and he would always produce for me :D I hit it at a good time also I think. Like I mentioned in my report, I was often the only one diving on the boat... Do you know where Benjim is going to work at?

How did you like Pescador Island? That is still one of my all time favorite places :)

I have noticed that bus service seems to go everywhere there. I hired a taxi, more for the convience and to shave some time off the trip. I rode the bus last year when I made my first trip to Puerto Galera.

Yes Bohol and Apo Island were recommended to me also while I was there. They're both on my list :D

Thanks Bill22. I do not ask the diveshop name from Benjim becauuse I still think that to dive there is still too expensive for me.

For Pescadar it is alraight but like waht I say a lot of divers there and this time I saw only few fish and small creatures. I counld not imagine on the high season, this Island you will see a lot of bubble than blue sea surely. Thinking that they should do some agreement on the diving plan of each group like Thailand now try to do that.

Thanks Bill22. I do not ask the diveshop name from Benjim becauuse I still think that to dive there is still too expensive for me.

For Pescadar it is alraight but like waht I say a lot of divers there and this time I saw only few fish and small creatures. I counld not imagine on the high season, this Island you will see a lot of bubble than blue sea surely. Thinking that they should do some agreement on the diving plan of each group like Thailand now try to do that.

That's good information to have. I was there right at the beginning of the season, so not a lot of people. Sounds like that makes a big difference in your overall experience. That's good for people to know when they're deciding what time of year to plan their trip. Thanks for sharing that :)

Great posts Bill! Superb Pics!

I will be traveling to Moalboal for the first time in August (yes I brave the rainy seasons!) and you posts were very interesting to me as they gave me an advanced view. Nice work!

A quick question for Bill, Dadvocate, and any other fine bubblemakers familiar with Moalboal: any mid price places you can recommend to stay? I was thinking the Marina Nipas, Quo Vadis, or Fitzgeralds. I am looking for a good nipa hutAlso, I have heard good things about Nelson's diveshop from Bill and others...what other operators can you recommend in Moalboal?

Thanks again Bill for such a superb report on Moalboal! You have made my decision to go there in August solid!

Feel free to send any advice regarding accommodations and food my way. Sounds like Nelson is the guy to dive with.

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks again Bill for such a superb report on Moalboal! You have made my decision to go there in August solid!

Feel free to send any advice regarding accommodations and food my way. Sounds like Nelson is the guy to dive with.

Cheers,

Jason

Hope the weather will be good for you :) I stayed at Eve's right next door to Nelson's and this was very convenient. August is definitley the off-season, so you shouldn't have any problem negotiating or finding a room.

As far as food, the food at Eves was very good and I usually had breakfast and lunch there. In the evening, I would walk around and find someplace different each night. I focused mainly south of Nelsons, which is where you will find many small restaraunts and bars. Many places will have fresh seafood laid out on tables. You just tell them what you want and they cook it for you. Really good food :)

Having dived Anilao now and PG more in-depth, I would say their reefs are in better shape than Moalboal. I've been told that a typhoon went through the there a few years ago and tore up the reefs pretty bad. The reefs ARE coming back though :)
A big difference was turtles. I only photographed one turtle the whole time I was in Anilao and PG and that was on the last dive I made! Turtles make very cool subjects and there were plenty of those in Moalboal :)

I also liked the vibe in Moalboal better than PG. That's a little harder to describe... just people seemed more laid-back there. Overall, I still put Moalboal a little ahead of PG. PG's diving is better than Moalboal with the exception of Pescador Island, but everything else I liked better in Moalboal. I still think that I will eventually make another trip to Moalboal. I don't know that I can say the same about PG.

I still consider Pescador Island to be one of the best places that I've dived in the Philippines :)

Thanks Bill!

Very kind of you to take the time to set out that long and detailed response.
Hope to have a great time in Moalboal.

I fully understand hat you mean by the "vibe" or feel of a place and I most definitely want to send my dive trip dollars to people who are laid back and happy in their work.

Makes for a better holiday!

Be sure to let me know if you ever plan to come to Oahu, Hawaii (my home) and I will get you good rates for scuba and show you some fun sites (even though I think the South Asian seas have the best diving)...

:)

Jason

Thanks Bill!

Very kind of you to take the time to set out that long and detailed response.
Hope to have a great time in Moalboal.

I fully understand hat you mean by the "vibe" or feel of a place and I most definitely want to send my dive trip dollars to people who are laid back and happy in their work.

Makes for a better holiday!

Be sure to let me know if you ever plan to come to Oahu, Hawaii (my home) and I will get you good rates for scuba and show you some fun sites (even though I think the South Asian seas have the best diving)...

:)

Jason

Well as an example... all the ladies who sat in the square there and sold t-shirts, souvenirs, etc... (and would also do your laundry) all knew my name and always said hi to me. We would all laugh while we were haggling. I tried to buy a little something from each of them when I left. They kept pushing of course, right up until I said "enough, sorry I only have so much money"... we all still laughed and smiled and they all said goodbye and they hoped to see me again.

I don't have a problem with people trying to sell me things, and I'm not even bothered by the hard sell as long as people are nice :) They are trying to make a living and they are dependent on the tourist trade to do it. I'm really okay with that. Just important to keep a sense of humor about it :D

PG I got a little different vibe is all... Plus PG, especially Sabang where most of the dive shops are, is more hard core partying and there is more of a mix of people who are there for "other" things. Moalboal, at least in November is more laidback. The people are there for diving. Now it's been posted that other times of year, it's different, but you're going during the off-season, so I expect that you'll experience conditions similar to mine as far as numbers of people that are there.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there :) I do plan on coming to Hawaii at some point. I may wait and see what's available for orders when I leave here. I'll be shooting for Guam, but Hawaii would be good also :) If I end up just coming for a dive trip, I'll be sure to let you know :)

Hi Bill!

My Moalboal Plans are coming along quite nicely! Thanks for your advice.
I decided to make it a good long trip (Aug 23- Sept 6th) and look forward to getting some diving in. I am going to do a couple days with Quo Vadis and a couple with Nelsons.

I was thinking of hitting up another area and so far Bohol looked good. What do you think of this idea? would there be another nearby to Moalboal spot that you would recommend more than Moalboal?

You are the guru so I thought I would ask!

Thanks,

Jason

Back
Top Bottom