Moalboal Trip Report (continuation from Malapascua Trip Report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had to cancel my Southern Leyte trip yesterday ... :( sorry no trip report :shakehead::shakehead: I'll hopefully be going back to the Philippines later this year, but not sure where or when at this point.

Man that sucks Bill! I'm sorry to hear it!:popcorn: Luckily you live not that far away and should be able to swing a trip some time soon...

Man that sucks Bill! I'm sorry to hear it!:popcorn: Luckily you live not that far away and should be able to swing a trip some time soon...

Yes that is the good thing, that I don't live to far... the paperwork involved is such a pain in the butt though. Hopefully I'll make it back down by June. Have to wait and see right now.

Thanks again Bill22. Your web Link and guid is very useful. I am checking the way to transfer between Airport-Malapascua-Moalboal-Cebu city-Airport. Is it convenient and safe to travel by bus for foreinger?

Thanks again Bill22. Your web Link and guid is very useful. I am checking the way to transfer between Airport-Malapascua-Moalboal-Cebu city-Airport. Is it convenient and safe to travel by bus for foreinger?

Hard for me to say since I had a driver pick me up and take me to Malapascua and hired a taxi to take me from Cebu City to Moalboal.

Here's a link on how to get to Malapascua: Getting to Malapascua, Philippines

and another on how to get to Moalboal: Transportation

Perhaps if you start a new thread someone who is familiar with riding the buses there can give you some insight on that. I had the money so I paid for the convenience when I was in Cebu.

I did ride a bus when I went to Puerto Galera earlier last year. I took a taxi from the hotel I stayed in overnight after landing in Manila, to the bus station and then a bus to Batangas. I didn't have any problems, but I did have to pay for an extra seat for my bag. It is much cheaper to take the bus. I would just give you the same advice that I would give anyone traveling anywhere.... make sure you secure your wallet and passport.

Thanks again Bill22. I also check the transfer rate in Cebu too but everyone quoting is very expensive (2500+ / ride). And I actaully consider as budget traveller to make me able to travel more often.

We (my friend & I), 1st timers to the Philippines, took the public transport to Malapascua in Aug 2007, to save some money... I had 1 small bag for clothes & 1 dive bag & my friend had 1 large backpack... Guess we would have arranged for transfer if we had lots of lugguage... We felt quite safe but the normal precautions applied (like not leaving belongings unattended)...
Can check out my blog if u like... CaT's Dive Sites: Malapascua, Philippines (10 Aug 2007)

Hi Bill, you hit the spot in Moalboal. Nelson and his dive shop is very diver friendly. Your story triggered many pleasant memories there. Benjim is an accomplished diver and guide- a very fine gentleman and 'sabongero' ( Did he not take you cock fighting?). You did not make mention of the white-tip reef sharks and the giant turtles and the gorgeous walls!!

Hi Bill, you hit the spot in Moalboal. Nelson and his dive shop is very diver friendly. Your story triggered many pleasant memories there. Benjim is an accomplished diver and guide- a very fine gentleman and 'sabongero' ( Did he not take you cock fighting?). You did not make mention of the white-tip reef sharks and the giant turtles and the gorgeous walls!!

I'm sure I mentioned the walls and I know I included some turtle shots....:D

I agree Benjim was a really great guide. If I mentioned I wanted to shoot nudibranchs he found nudibranchs... if I said "frogfish", he found me one within minutes and was dissapointed he was only able to show me three on the dive :D I was thinking about going back to Puerto Galera or hitting Southern Leyte next month, but I'm half tempted to go back to Moalboal instead :)

I'll include a few shots of Benjim here :14:

Attachments

• Moalboal Benjim Medium Web view.jpg
    Moalboal Benjim Medium Web view.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Moalboal Sea Turtle Benjim.jpg
    Moalboal Sea Turtle Benjim.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Moalboal Trevally Schooling.jpg
    Moalboal Trevally Schooling.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Moalboal Tubla Point Benjim2 Medium Web view.jpg