Moalboal name and shame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dived in Moalboal there were 3 new filipinas divers with me (less than 20 dives), they got really excited seeing a turtle and all proceeded to reach out and try to ride it. I had the task of moving them off it, it was a case of ignorance and not realising the consequences when we spoke about it after.

It looks like they learned their lesson. Hopefully, they will pass it on.

I remember seeing a similar incident in the Caribbean years ago.

It's all about education.

Unfortunately, just last weekend in Grand Cayman... Such a gift to see such a beautiful creature on your USS Kittiwake dive, so sad he had to be "molested" by the divers.

March 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM
SAPIUS
user-online.png

Registered
stars-1-5.gif

Caymin' Stay

Join DateAug 2009LocationReston, Virginia & Gun Bay, East End, Grand Cayman IslandPosts26Dives2,500 - 4,999

I think the photo is damning and certainly shows a diver molesting (e.g. riding/grabbing fin/being pulled along etc) the animal... more than just 'got close enough to touch" Appears SeaSports was there, but not the dive shop with the divers shown in the picture... now appears dive shop responsible is 'unknown'. Looks like Wendy hit the nail on the head about the dive community. This should become the 'poster child' for what NOT to do

Image-1.jpg

Or this one>>
Whale-Shark.jpg

Last edited by SAPIUS; March 22nd, 2012 at 09:39 AM.​

Thank you. Another two photos to show my students of how not to interact with marine life.

@Hawkwood, whats happening in that avatar of yours?

Sea Lion - it is coming up to me - I held my hand out, not the other way around.

The location is Norris Rocks near Hornby Island in British Columbia. It is the location of a very large Sea Lion colony - more than a few hundred. Boats that approach the island get surrounded by juvenile Sea Lions. Once in the water the Sea Lions do not leave you alone. It is very typical that a Sea Lion will single you out and shadow you for your dive. When I say "shadow" I mean they well come right beside you and snug up to you. The more curious ones will "mouth" you on your arm, legs, even your head. I have even watched the Sea Lions work at tank straps. If you ignore them, they ignore you.

Do you see a direct comparison?

Bill

All good, sea lions are the curious creatures arent they maybe a lot more than your average whaleshark.. yes I have been in the water with sea lions... a lot of fun.

That dive was my 50th birthday celebration with my son and some friends. It is an amazing experience - with interaction with sea life on their terms. I didn't even wait to gear up. I hopped in with just my snorkel and had a ball with them at the surface. I recommend it to all. Do a Google search, on Norris Rocks and Sea Lions. There are some tremendous videos of the experience.

I had a similar interaction with sea lion pups in the Sea of Cortez. I will never forget one zooming toward me and then swimming up to look me right in the eyes, mere inches from my mask! Also had them nibbling on fins, snorkel etc etc. So very cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom