Mk25 evo -- mk19 evo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both regs are excellent first stages. When it comes to recreational diving either reg will work for you without really offering a significant advantage over the other. Here are some things you can take into consideration:

The service kit for the Mk19 will cost more than the Mk25. That is the nature of diaphragm service kits vs piston. The Mk25 is a bit easier to service since it has less parts, but that should not affect what reg you decide to use.

My SP rep, whom I know fairly well, told me a way to compare them is one can take the Mk25 to below 1000 feet and the Mk17/19 to several hundred feet. As I mentioned earlier, if you are a recreational diver diving within the rec. limits then either reg will suffice. If you are diving cold (near freeing / ice) water then lean toward the Mk19. When it comes to deep diving the Mk25 excels.

If money isn’t an issue and you can’t decide, flip a coin. Another deciding factor could be which one is available when you to go into the shop and buy a reg. Perhaps ones looks more appealing to you. The D420 can be paired with the Mk11, M17, Mk19, Mk21, or Mk25.

I don't know about Israel [or wherever you buy your gear] the mk25 is $354 cheaper than the Mk19 here, for an other $40 I can buy 2 Mk25s.

For a diehard piston believer as I am, it is a classic definition of a "dilemma" (I know many others who are true fanatics in their idolizing piston regulators) :) Scubapro has upped the bar with the release of the MK19 and it will be very difficult to say no to this SP diaphragm first stage.

When it comes to recreational diving either reg will work for you without really offering a significant advantage over the other.
Aaaaannnnnd...that's my cue! :troll:

After 20 years of recreational diving and subpar attention to maintenance, the inside of your (sealed) Mk19 won't look like the inside of these (unsealed) Mk20/25's...
20171107_111105.jpg20171107_110416.jpg

:wink: I'm jes sayin'...

After 20 years of recreational diving and subpar attention to maintenance, the inside of your (sealed) Mk19 won't look like the inside of these (unsealed) Mk20/25's...
View attachment 647812View attachment 647813

If you don't take of your equipment and not service it, you deserve it :) Also, after 20 years, you need to get another one anyways.

View attachment 647812View attachment 647813

That’s why I switched

Switching or choosing a reg based on how gritty or dirty it can get is a copout for poor maintenance. I’ve opened up diaphragm regs only to find verdigris or soot inside it. I’ve made hundreds of dives and gone years without servicing a piston reg, yet I kept it rinsed and took care of it (this was back when I lived in the tropics). Regardless of what type of reg one chooses, it needs to be taken care of with good maintenance and service. Subpar maintenance leads to unnecessary problems that can be avoided no matter what type of reg one uses.

Switching or choosing a reg based on how gritty or dirty it can get is a copout for poor maintenance. I’ve opened up diaphragm regs only to find verdigris or soot inside it. I’ve made hundreds of dives and gone years without servicing a piston reg, yet I kept it rinsed and took care of it (this was back when I lived in the tropics). Regardless of what type of reg one chooses, it needs to be taken care of with good maintenance and service. Subpar maintenance leads to unnecessary problems that can be avoided no matter what type of reg one uses.

YES!!

I’ve opened unsealed pistons to find multiple deep scores on the inside from grit, I’ve switched to sealed diaphragms after a run of sealed pistons (atomic) that also worked fine, 95% of my diving is from shore so I went to a system that is better at keeping the grit out.

I don't know about Israel [or wherever you buy your gear] the mk25 is $354 cheaper than the Mk19 here, for an other $40 I can buy 2 Mk25s.
Interestingly, my LDS here is selling the mk25 and mk19 (kitted with a d420 and r195) for the same price, so that part is a wash. This is what made the choice so hard- price couldn't even be the deciding factor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom