Mk25 evo -- mk19 evo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

signal18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At the risk of opening a can of worms, I wanted to solicit thoughts on the mk25 evo vs the mk19 evo. Parts of this question have been covered in other threads I've been grateful to read through here, but my question is specifically this:
Given that both are excellent 1st stages, what -if any- are the advantages to the piston/mk25 evo over the mk19 that would swing a decision between the two in favor of the 25?
With the most obvious advantage of the mk19 being that it's environmentally sealed, I'm trying to understand what about the mk25 would tip the balance in its favor.
I'm currently mainly a warm water diver, but plan to keep the reg for the long haul, and could see a situation in which I'd encounter silty or "dirtier" conditions. And if it matters at all, I'd be pairing it with a D420.

I scanned through previous threads trying to find one that addressed this specific point, but couldn't find any. If someone knows of one, please let me know, I definitely don't want to waste anyone's time and rehash something that's been covered before!
Thanks!

I firmly believe SP kept the 19 out of the US market for the past decade in fear that it would cannibalize the 25. It’s been available in Europe for a long time.

I (think?) it weighs a few grams more. Otherwise I have found no substantive reason anyone can argue a 25>19.

Bias: owner of 2 19, 2 17, 5ish 25s

I have a Mk25/620ti and a Mk19/D420 with G260 octo....the Mk25/620 is a spare travel regulator. The only advantage I can think of is that local scuba pro shops know how to service the Mk25 and G260 far more frequently than the Mk19/D420 combo. I have rsingler take care of all my regulator tuning.

If you flooded a stage bottle reg at depth, a piston reg is more likely to survive a slug of water, blow it through, and get you to the surface. Some diaphragms will "lock up" when flooded.
'Bout the only possible reason I can think of, to choose Mk25 piston over the 19 diaphragm.
But I just don't dive 25's.

(Says a 30-year piston guy, now diving Mk19's, Poseidon and Deep6. And, well, a sealed Atomic :wink:)

I firmly believe SP kept the 19 out of the US market for the past decade in fear that it would cannibalize the 25. It’s been available in Europe for a long time.

The MK19 hasn't been available in the EMEA region for many, many years. Not sure if there was an earlier version of the MK19 but the current MK19 just came out in US and EMEA at the same time.

The MK19 hasn't been available in the EMEA region for many, many years. Not sure if there was an earlier version of the MK19 but the current MK19 just came out in US and EMEA at the same time.
It was available in Germany and the UK in 2008 timeframe. I believe it was discontinued in 2010.

It was available in Germany and the UK in 2008 timeframe. I believe it was discontinued in 2010.

I haven't seen it in the EMEA region since circa 2011 (I didn't check prior to 2011). I am also not sure that what you say was an MK19 in 2008 is the same as the current MK19, I don't think so but I am not certain.

I haven't seen it in the EMEA region since circa 2011 (I didn't check prior to 2011). I am also not sure that what you say was an MK19 in 2008 is the same as the current MK19, I don't think so but I am not certain.
It’s always been a 17 with a swivel, not unlike the 18 is a 16 with a swivel. The current one is an “EVO” and maintains a gloss rather than matte finish but is functionally identical. The earliest references I can find date to late 2005 but I don’t know if that was the beginning of the series as it was when I started diving and tried to prompt (unsuccessfully) the rep into bringing a few over.

I prefer a sealed diaphragm and don’t really care about the swivel, I use MK 17’s, the MK 25 is a tried and proven regulator, go with the best deal.

functionally identical
Not quite sure what this means, but Mk19 EVO performance is better than Mk17 & 19, and internal design is not same as Mk17 or earlier Mk19. There's a thread somewhere...
Screenshot_20200829-103637_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210315-204325_Drive.jpg

20200829_104423.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom