Mk16/mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrep1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently bought a MK16 DIN to start my H-Valve/future twins setup. This is my primary reg and I'm using a Mares MR22 as my secondary. The MK17 is now available in Canada and I am wondering if that would be a good move ? I'm planning to move the Mares to my rec setup. I have no idea of the price difference. From what I know, they are both diaphragm regs but the MK17 is environmentally sealed and fins for more heat exchange with the cold water.

Any opinion in regards to:
-price difference
-cold water diving, I dive all year long in Canada.
-new features
-reliability
-serviceability and field adjustments
-value of having two MK16 instead of a MK16 and a MK17

André

The Mk 17 uses a different seat arrangement to ensure better seat alignment and if anything it should be even more reliable than the already quite reliable Mk 16.

Maximum flow rates are the same but the Mk 17's design and diaphragm material allow a little more travel of the seat off the orifice and this increased range improves response time and IP stability on inhalation compared to the Mk 16.

The Mk 17 has been tested at high flow rates in 33 degree water for 200 minutes (the end of the test) without icing up. In comparison an Aqualung Legend froze up after about 30 minutes.

I switched to Mk 17's on my doubles and prefer it to the Mk 20 or Mk 25, especially in cold water. It has given excellent performance with zero problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom