MK15.5 on ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hamlet:
The big question is "did you pay more for yours". How does the price of the one on EBay sound Mike is it about right for one of these with the extras it's got?

Dave.

Yes I did.

At the moment its a very good price - but I doubt it will stay that low for long.

I think anything less than US$10K is a good price for this rig if its in good condition.

If I was a rich man......

It's almost US$9K now, Just how much better is this thing than an Inspiration. Or should it be compared with a Cis Lunar?

Dave.

Mike,
yours is 2 1/2 years old and has what, less than 50 hours on it? I'm pretty sure you'll find it worth the price.
And it has SMI electronics which I still consider the best ones installed into them so far. All you need is the HDD. :D

As for a second one, might be nice to have some spares for the future. :wink: Actually, those rigs are pretty robust, you have to be pretty careless (or unlucky) to do damage. Make sure you don't drop the centersection or puncture the counterlung.

Hamlet,
comparing a MK series RB with an Inspiration isn't that easy, and different people have different preferences.
The MK series dates back to the late 60s (the CCR1000 was first offered in '69 to the public, the same year as the Electrolung). Considering that it's an amazingly well designed unit. The combination of MK15 case and plumbing with the MK16 derived centersection makes the 15.5 the most desireable version for many, including me.
Some of the basic design features are better on the MK than the Inspiration, though that is just my opinion. Scrubber duration is better, gas flow path is better, hydrodynamics are better (no o-t-s CL), analog and independent secondary is better.
Downsides are expense of purchase and spares, sourcing them in the first place, higher WOB, no loop recovery, and in some cases outdated analog electronics.

I'd take a good one over an Inspiration, and Mike's the best I've seen so far.

Actually Mike, why don't you get the one on e-bay to, so you have something to dive
when I can afford to take that SM1600 of your back. :D

caveseeker7:
Actually Mike, why don't you get the one on e-bay to, so you have something to dive
when I can afford to take that SM1600 of your back. :D

LOL:D

Actually the new DrMK1 arrived on Saturday it only weighs 3.33kg is 51cm long its audible alarm certainly works well, loops a bit smelly and its going to cost me a bomb to pay for the training (schooling)!

So I dont think Ill be buying any new dive gear soon! :D

DrMike:
Actually the new DrMK1 arrived on Saturday it only weighs 3.33kg is 51cm long its audible alarm certainly works well, loops a bit smelly and its going to cost me a bomb to pay for the training (schooling)!
Wish I would have known, Mike, I would have recommended a Prism with the clear bucket.
Just put in a thin layer of absorbant, a thin foampad and your Minimi, and along he comes for the dive. :crafty:
The sorb might even help with the smell ... :wink:

caveseeker7:
Mike,
yours is 2 1/2 years old and has what, less than 50 hours on it? I'm pretty sure you'll find it worth the price.
And it has SMI electronics which I still consider the best ones installed into them so far. All you need is the HDD. :D
I thnk Christina would debate that.. The HH for the mk 15.5 has alot more options than the SMI electronics, and the new POD is really nice..

It can be used with either an analog secondary, a digital secondary or the HH secondary...

Personally, If I was looking for a MK 15 type I would hold off for Kevin Gurr's Ourbourous... It beats any MK 15 hands down..

Its going to go for about $8000 pounds, He is working on CE certification and will release it once he has it.. There are currently 6 prototypes being used.

padiscubapro:
I thnk Christina would debate that.. The HH for the mk 15.5 has alot more options than the SMI electronics, and the new POD is really nice..

Personally, If I was looking for a MK 15 type I would hold off for Kevin Gurr's Ourbourous... It beats any MK 15 hands down..

A HH would be nice IF you can get Kevin to answer your emails! :eyebrow:

I understood from Christina you couldnt run the DIVA without having the HH secondary, so the only thing she has with her HH that the SMI electronics hasnt is the one primary display with deco info. As she wisely kept her anolog secondary her HH doesnt have a HUD/DIVA. Personaly for me I want a HUD and anology secondary more than I want an integrated deco comp, so am happy with the SMI electronics.

Will the Ourborious be released at the same time as the Diverite scooter, the extendair cartridges for the YBOD or APs FFM with OC/CC valve??? :rolleyes:

Think Id rather dive something now that will do the job now than wait for something thats 'just about to be released'

Yeh - heard that before. :D

It looks like it could be a nice unit though.

Yo Joey!

caveseeker7:
... I'm pretty sure ... I still consider... just my opinion ... I'd take
IMHO ! I know you're from New York, so let me make sure:
Around here that stands for In My Humble Opinion, not I'm a ho! :wink:

padiscubapro:
I thnk Christina would debate that..
She might well disagree with it, but I'm not sure she would debate it (again). I said the 15.5 is the most desirable for many, not for all, not the best.
While not her preference, I'm sure she's aware the 15.5 is the most desired unit by many people.

The HH for the mk 15.5 has alot more options than the SMI electronics, and the new POD is really nice..

It can be used with either an analog secondary, a digital secondary or the HH secondary...
Again, I said I consider, not that SMI'electronics are the best. Just my opinion again. :wink:

The HH has plenty of options, but some stuff I miss.
As Mike pointed out, you can only have a HUD without the analog needle gauge. I really want to have both.

The SMI electronics have a physical power switch that eliminates stray currents from the electronics feeding back to the sensors, which is a perfect combination for the cell-powered secondary.

The SMI electronics track and validate cell performance.
Yes, yes, yes, I know you don't belive that is possible. But if you have a look at the Evo's new manual on page 64, Section 7.9 titled Cell Validation, you'll see that even your Inspiration Buddy Martin has figured it out(though implemented differently - the Evo runs the solenoid on a single cell, the SM1600/Prism doesn't, it's run manually/monitored on one cell).

As I don't know how the MK version of the HH is wired into the MK series I don't know if the primary and secondary are completely independent. I prefer that, it ties in with the battery switch described above, and Mike's big black baby has it.

Kevin ran me through it at DEMA, but briefly and on an assembled rig, so I don't remember it all that well.

In my opinion it needs to have independent O2 monitoring and the rest of the items I described above.
Everything additional I don't need, but if well implemented would be appriciated. There better be something extra as the price Kevin mentioned last year was about 50% higher than Prism, BI et al.

What I do remeber is that it is one large piece of equipment. Makes your custom rig look like a Biaffra breather ... .

I was suprised to see all four cells inline, common wisdom seems not to do that. I wonder about the reasoning behind it.
I don't belive that what they mean when they say the sensors should be linear. :wink:
Actually, the 4th cell suprised me, too, IMHO an integrated computer should run off the three cells that maintain the setpoint.

What do you like about the Ouroboros? It doesn't even have a yellow cover?

Its going to go for about $8000 pounds ...
Is that 8000 US Dollar, 8000 British Pound, or 8000 lbs of dollars ? :D

Back
Top Bottom