Mk11 Split-off from Regulator Geeks, Part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

These posts have been split off from Regulator Geeks, Part II
A bit of thread-jack, but since this seems to be the current ScubaPro nerd thread ...

If I bought a pre-Evo MK17 or a Tusa R-700 , would the environmental seal parts be able to be put on a MK11 to turn it into a fully sealed reg?

A bit of thread-jack, but since this seems to be the current ScubaPro nerd thread ...

If I bought a pre-Evo MK17 or a Tusa R-700 , would the environmental seal parts be able to be put on a MK11 to turn it into a fully sealed reg?
While I haven’t tried that but it should be possible, but, the use different diaphragms and since ones you remove the diaphragm retainer you will have to change it too. What would be the point? If you start with an 11 and a 17 by the time you switch the parts and service each (since you’re in there) you will end up with a 17 and an 11…

A hybrid MK17"T" ...

And I can probably pick up a new R-700 for $140 ...

Since that is outside the gas area, some sort of anti-seize should do the trick. Silicone grease would probably be OK.

Since that is outside the gas area, some sort of anti-seize should do the trick. Silicone grease would probably be OK.
Maybe but I never felt the real need for it since the 11 is easy enough to rinse and there isn’t any chance of grit doing harm, now if you were to have a sealing chamber made in the style of the 17 we could probably convince scubapro to start making a 17Tevo:wink:

Maybe but I never felt the real need for it since the 11 is easy enough to rinse and there isn’t any chance of grit doing harm, now if you were to have a sealing chamber made in the style of the 17 we could probably convince scubapro to start making a 17Tevo:wink:
6 days of no-soak/no-rinse salt diving on Blackbeard`s was my driver on fully sealed. Grit not so much ...
No-one really chimed in on the damage-risk profile for that exposure on my reg selection thread.

And to add one more question, would that combo be able to be fully serviced with a MK17 or MK17 EVO (if there is a difference) kit?

6 days of no-soak/no-rinse salt diving on Blackbeard`s was my driver on fully sealed. Grit not so much ...
No-one really chimed in on the damage-risk profile for that exposure on my reg selection thread.

And to add one more question, would that combo be able to be fully serviced with a MK17 or MK17 EVO (if there is a difference) kit?
6 days in salt isn’t going to touch an 11T, but, this is supposition on my part, such a “creation” would need a 17 service kit.

I believe there is a "pre-EVO" "blue coated" spring. That would be the best option in an 11, and basically be more than adequate for warm water.... There just isn't much to go wrong in a diaphragm regulator. The environmentally really shines for the very cold water or contaminated. I don't even think sandy environments (grit) would impact an an environmentally unsealed like an 11...

Back
Top Bottom