mk10 the red washer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair point. Maybe I'm just expecting and taking for granted that there will be enough brain power.

In either case, though, be it because of incompetence or simple dishonesty, you just have to watch your own back and take what they say/recommend with a grain of salt. Otherwise your best interest is likely to be compromised.

To be fair, the LDS is not in an enviable spot. They are following a business model that seems to be on diminishing returns. LDS businesses are dropping out like flies on DDT all over the place. I don't think I know an instructor (non-shop owner) that can say scuba instruction is his sole source of income. And customers don't get the best care for their interests and can definitely get into diving in much more economical ways than going through a LDS. So it seems to be a losing game for most parts, except maybe big manufacturers?.

Believe me there are no PhDs at my LDS. They were interested in hiring one once, but wouldn't pay for the reg tech certification course, so the ungrateful jerk took his o-ring picks and went home.

Oh, life is even harder than I thought: have PhD, will provide own o-ring pick, only asking $15 an hour, or food, or best offer.
:D

To be fair, the LDS is not in an enviable spot. They are following a business model that seems to be on diminishing returns. LDS businesses are dropping out like flies on DDT all over the place. I don't think I know an instructor (non-shop owner) that can say scuba instruction is his sole source of income. And customers don't get the best care for their interests and can definitely get into diving in much more economical ways than going through a LDS. So it seems to be a losing game for most parts, except maybe big manufacturers?.

I do not feel bad for LDS. They can adapt or die, and as you mention many are dying because they choose not to adapt. They cannot run the business the same way they did 20 years ago and expect to stay in business. Two or three dive shops here in Miami have my email address. None have ever sent me an email. The online stores send me one at least once a week. Many of these old timers do not understand that internet changed their business forever. They need to be competitive or loose business to online stores. The need to cut down on the BS because internet BBS's will keep them honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom