Mk10 IP issue or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's ok. Try tapping the purge 50 times or so. Also try leaving it pressurized for an hour or two, maybe with the tank valve off, and then check back to make sure nothing has budged.

I agree with Axxel in that there might be a slight initial sticking of the piston in the 2nd video. The 1st video shows the reg initially locking up and then bumping up a few psi, which might indicate that the piston is sticking just a bit as it seats. The 2nd video might be showing a bit of sticking as it un-seats. So the two could be indicating the same issue. Of course this is all idle speculation.

If I understand things, you rebuilt this reg last year and it's been sitting around since then? That might explain a bit of stickiness around the HP piston o-ring. That's where the tapping the purge 50 times comes in, it might help re-lubricate the area. And leaving it pressurized for an hour will certainly help to set the piston in the seat and give you an indication if there's any creep. So if you do both of those things and it's better or at least not worse, I'd dive with it.

My experience with MK10s is that they occasionally tend to creep or act just a bit wonky after sitting around for a while. In mine this has usually cleared up fine after some use.

I think it's ok. Try tapping the purge 50 times or so. Also try leaving it pressurized for an hour or two, maybe with the tank valve off, and then check back to make sure nothing has budged.

I agree with Axxel in that there might be a slight initial sticking of the piston in the 2nd video. The 1st video shows the reg initially locking up and then bumping up a few psi, which might indicate that the piston is sticking just a bit as it seats. The 2nd video might be showing a bit of sticking as it un-seats. So the two could be indicating the same issue. Of course this is all idle speculation.

If I understand things, you rebuilt this reg last year and it's been sitting around since then? That might explain a bit of stickiness around the HP piston o-ring. That's where the tapping the purge 50 times comes in, it might help re-lubricate the area. And leaving it pressurized for an hour will certainly help to set the piston in the seat and give you an indication if there's any creep. So if you do both of those things and it's better or at least not worse, I'd dive with it.

My experience with MK10s is that they occasionally tend to creep or act just a bit wonky after sitting around for a while. In mine this has usually cleared up fine after some use.
Was my first MK10 rebuild so I’m sure I didn’t use much lube. thanks for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom