mk10/g250 or oceanic alpha8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to get a set of decent regs. I found a deal on CL for a used mk10/g250 (no clue how old, but functioning) for 100 obo. There's also a local sale going on for a new Oceanic Alpha 8. Any thoughts on which one I should go for? Right now I'm diving a nice old Conshelf XIV so anything is a nice upgrade. Plus, shop said they wont be able to find new parts for my Conshelf so something should happen. I also have a Sherwood (Brut?) 1st and 2nd that would need some time in the shop too. Any thoughts? Thanks.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 04:46 PM ----------

forgot to mention, I'm just diving Northern CA, so around 50* is probably the lowest I'll hit right now. Also would like to eventually bring it down to San Diego and Mexico, etc.

I'd choose the MK10/G250 anytime, because the G250 is one of the best second stages money can buy, and parts and services are widely available. However, the Conshelf is still serviceable; the shop that told you otherwise should be avoided like the plague.

AS Zung said service parts for your 14 are the same as for the Aqualung Titan. Absolutely one of the most common regs around and parts will be available for a long, long time.
The Conshelf is a balanced diaphragm 1st stage still used by the US Navy and is no slouch, the 2nd is rugged all metal and again a fine performer.

Change your dive shop.

If you do change the Alpha will not be an upgrade, in fact if it is paired with the unbalanced piston it will be a downgrade.
The MK10 G250 is a step up, it is one of the best performing regs of all time and if you can get it for $100 or less it's a bargain.

Last edited:
FWIW I've got a second hand Mk10/G250 that I got for $100 and I'd be ecstatic to get another set for the same price just to rub up against it!

When it came in the mail everything worked fine after years in someone's garage being neglected. I got it serviced by a reg guru it scrubbed up into the best reg I've ever tried bar none. That's not against a huge sample but the reg dude (in line with most of the reg freaks on this board) reckons a MK10/G250 is superb to use, bullet-proof and easy to service.

Amen to brothers Zung and Fishpie comments. The 250 is an upgrade performance wise but the MK-10 is at best a wash and for cold water the Conshelf is still be better choice. From a strickly bullet proof standpoint, the Conshelf wins hands down...metal beats plastic. The only parts you can't get for the Conshelf are the major ones- main body and the like which you will have a very hard time distroying unless you really abuse it. Find a new shop, odds are they will tell you the MK-10 is obsolete soon as well.
As for the Brute, it's a perfect reg to start learing DIY reg servicing on or as a backup/loaner. Simple, reliable and easy to service.

The only regulator I dive is the Mk10/G250. I own six Mk10s. As long as you have a local dive shop that can service them, I think it's a great choice.

oops, misspoke. the usd regs are actually se2's, not xiv. not that it should really change much unless anyone can actually confirm that the parts for those might be hard to get. looks like I'll be heading over to pull the trigger on the mk10/250 rig.

herman, my plan was to learn diy servicing on the sherwood. i already own 2x se2 and the sherwood makes 3 sets of regs that would be spare/backup if i get the g250. any pointers?

thanks everyone for all the help.

The SE2 uses the same service kit as the 14.

As for the MK10 G250.......
Just look at the overall condition.
Has it been put away wet and salty?
Condition of the yoke nut and screw will give an idea of how much it has been used.
Look for scratches and dings in the chrome from poor servicing especially the two holes on the non swivel end and the dimples half way up the body.
The adjustment screw on the 2nd stage can be seized if it has been left for a long time.....easy to unseize after soaking but don't try and force it before you do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom