Mk10 and G250 sevice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
So I picked up a 1992-1993ish Mk10/G250 combo recently. Came with a Scubapro brass SPG and depth gauge with a wheel to zero it out. Even had some old school Scubapro green hose protectors. With the exception of a couple light scratch marks on the 1st stage, it looks like it hasn't see much use/abuse. I dropped it off at my local shop to have it serviced with new hoses. While the gentleman who does the services was out, I see mention here of an "S-wing poppet" conversion for the G250. Is this something that should be/needs to be done, or is simply a nice to have done?

As well, any mods or improvements I should inquire on for the Mk10?

So I picked up a 1992-1993ish Mk10/G250 combo recently. Came with a Scubapro brass SPG and depth gauge with a wheel to zero it out. Even had some old school Scubapro green hose protectors. With the exception of a couple light scratch marks on the 1st stage, it looks like it hasn't see much use/abuse. I dropped it off at my local shop to have it serviced with new hoses. While the gentleman who does the services was out, I see mention here of an "S-wing poppet" conversion for the G250. Is this something that should be/needs to be done, or is simply a nice to have done?

As well, any mods or improvements I should inquire on for the Mk10?
Pretty much of “needs to be” since the old style poppet is not available, just a straight forward upgrade.

Most likely servicing the G250 will (should) include a new spring and balance chamber in addition to S-wing poppet. No mods or improvements for the MK10.

If old parts are returned to you, have a look at the poppet. The rare grey version shown far right is very desirable for certain DIY fans.

20210927_220646.jpg

The old blue poppets did not have removable seat, the entire poppet was replaced when a new seat was needed. The S-wing poppets currently in use have replaceable seat, which is nice, but the mushroom style seats used are not something that can be made at home.

The grey poppet has replaceable puck style seat that can be made at home with hole punches and a sheet of EPDM. Thanks to Zung for posting the idea years ago, and Couv for the recent reminder.
20210929_222728.jpg

So mine had the blue poppet in it.
Thanks for the update. I have found a grey poppet twice out of about twenty G250s, but that may have involved a bit of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom