Mk 10 tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, hope you are well. I'm getting back into diving and servicing my own regs after years away from the shop and I have a question about the tools I'll need.

I did a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. you could help.

I have a couple Scubapro Mk10 first stages and I need to know what tools I need to service them. As I remember from years ago in the shop we had a lot of specialized tools but didn't use most of them. I'm looking for the short list of what I need to get started.

Thanks for any help.
C-

I'd think about locating the service manual, and seeing what tools go with it for service, then see what you might improvise with. Some use some very interesting substitutes. I'm sure they will chime in.

edit - had to clean up auto-correct inserted words....

Last edited:
I'm following this thread as well.

- humorous filler-

Did a full teardown, lube and rebuild after a saltwater flood with an adjustable wrench, a 1/2 pesos coin, two kitchen knives and 3 toothpicks. Got 50hrs on since, no issues.

- No value added -

I'd love a list of bare minimum tools to make the job easier as well.

Regards,
Cameron

@northernone I think for the MK10 the big one is the HP o-ring install tool that just makes life easier. Similar to the Poseidon o-rings where I used to use a bic pen, the actual tool makes it so much more simple

Anyone who tells you they pushed a knife edged piston past a captured Oring without using a bullet tool or some othe homemade contraption that insures the Oring is not damaged in any way is full of S**T.
If its their own gear they are only fooling themselves. If it belongs to a customer or another diver its a whole different kettel of fish.

Anyone who tells you they pushed a knife edged piston past a captured Oring without using a bullet tool or some othe homemade contraption that insures the Oring is not damaged in any way is full of S**T.
If its their own gear they are only fooling themselves. If it belongs to a customer or another diver its a whole different kettel of fish.
At scubagaskets web page you can find some o-ring tools for MK 10 as well as may oring codes of scbapro related with the actual size dimensions of the orings.
We have over 150 oring and tool products.
O-Ring Tools & Accessories Archives - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving

Nicolas

I had some nice folks up in Minneapolis make up a batch of color keyed piston shaft and HP seat O-rings for my SPro service kits. @herman and I have been working on an inexpensive bullet tool but may need a bit more time. There are others out there so please use one!
20170612_075136 (1).jpg

In my opinion these are the truly necessary tools for the MK10:

1. A piston bullet. You can make one or use a dowel, but the scubatools brass piston works perfectly and is not expensive.
2. A pin spanner. You need something to remove the seat retainer and disassemble the body. An easy (not cheapest) way to get this is with the SP multi tool from scubatools. It would be fairly easy to make the spanner for the seat retainer and buy a single ring spanner at harbor freight or some other cheap-crap place.
3. You need something to reliably and safely remove the HP piston o-ring. I use the double hook o-ring pick from scubatools. It works great. The problem with this job is that the o-ring is really deep in the regulator body is a preceisely-machined groove. Any scratches on this groove likely spell death for the regulator.

Then there are the 'really-nice-to-have' tools. These make the job so much quicker and easier that IMO they're worth getting even if you only rebuild one regulator every few years.
1. Herman's o-ring insertion tool. This makes a frustrating and time consuming job take about 10 seconds
2. A good quality yoke socket. It is possible to disassemble and re-assemble the MK10 with a large adjustable wrench or even using a vise to grab the yoke socket. But you can't torque it properly without the socket and a torque wrench.

The turret bolt on the MK10 is steel, not brass, so it's more tolerant of torque than the ones on the older MK5. A torque wrench in inch pounds with a hex key socket is the right way to go, but I will admit to having just snugged it with an allen wrench on many occasions. I'm still alive and I've never had one come loose or get damaged.

If I've forgotten anything I'm sure there will be lots of helpful comments.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom