Mixing Stick & WK Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njaimo

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished making a mixing stick for my 4.2 CFM Walter-Kidde compressor, and after several attempts at making the stick different ways I figure I post what I did. Perhaps it may save someone else some fiddling time...

The compressor I purchased from Jim Shelden in Wichita KS, aka "frogman62" and works like a charm. I am now using Mobil's Synthetic Jet Oil 254, after reading a discussion in this board. 254 is 50% more resistant to oxydation than Jet II, good for EAN mixing... Thank you frogman for all the help !

A curious thing here in western Canada, is the lack of PVC parts, unlike for example in Lowe's stores down across the border. So, after much fiddling with stick diameter and possible baffle materials I happened upon the perfect fit between 1 1/2 inch household "drain" pipe and wiffle-balls. The balls fit smuggly into the pipe, so there is no preferential edge-flow between the balls and the pipe. Here in Canada the pipe is made of ABS; maybe in the States one can find it made of SCH-40 PVC. ABS is supposed to be more rugged, or so the guy at Home Depot said...

Another lucky find was the Hoover vacuum cleaner filter (see attached photos), it just happens to fit snugly into a 2" to 1.5" adapter (also ABS drain).

I have put a total of 6 wiffle-balls in the pipe, one between the filter and the oxygen intake, 3 immediately after, and another two before the sensor T. I hooked it all up and fired the compressor, and I could feel quite a bit of vacuum with my hand at the top with the filter removed. I have not measured the vacuum difference with a manometer at the compressor input, but that is next.

Given there are no 1" parts in ABS drain pipe I had to go to 1" PVC to make the T for the sensor. I used a 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" drain pipe disconnect, and a couple of wraps of electrical tape to connect the mixing stick to the sensor T. This had the added feature that allows me to take of the compressor stick-intake without dismantling the whole thing when I only need to pump air.

For my sensor, the inside of a 1/2" pvc pipe fits the sensor adapter perfectly, so it is just a matter of gluing the right length to the 1" T and then sawing off close enough to allow the sampling orifices to be in the gas stream.

The cap for the compressor intake is made of a 2" ABS pipe cap, drilled to accommodate a 1" hose barb. I glued a piece of 2" pipe inside the cap to provide a wider base for a better seal with a gasket on the top of compressor intake.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• Stik_001.jpg
    Stik_001.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Stik_002.jpg
    Stik_002.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Stik_003.jpg
    Stik_003.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Stik_004.jpg
    Stik_004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Stik_005.jpg
    Stik_005.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Stik_006.jpg
    Stik_006.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Stik_007.jpg
    Stik_007.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Stik_008.jpg
    Stik_008.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Stik_009.jpg
    Stik_009.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Stik_010.jpg
    Stik_010.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Stik_011.jpg
    Stik_011.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Stik_012.jpg
    Stik_012.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Stik_013.jpg
    Stik_013.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 143
  • Stik_014.jpg
    Stik_014.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 162
Nice work, you can take out at least 1 wiffle ball though. The one before the O2 inlet isn't needed. 5 afterwards is pretty generous if you are getting a vacuum (easy to test with the O2 sensor) you can probably take one out too.

To test for vacuum via the o2 sensor just calibrate it to 20.9% with the compressor off. Turn the compressor on and it shouldn't drop below about 20.8% if it does increase the size of any restrictions.

The short intake hose and overall diameter seem pretty generous so if you are getting restrictions just remove the upper wiffle ball and drill more holes in the lower ones. Be sure to get the plastic shavings out if you do that.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions rjack. I'll remove the top w-ball and give it a try once I have the oxygen regulator, and report back. O2 reg is still in the mail... Cheers! -N

...curiosity won... just measured vacuum following rjack's suggestions. With 4 w-balls the meter drops to 20.8, with 5 balls it barely oscillates down to 20.7, and mainly stays at 20.8. Filter on / filter off makes absolutely no difference...

Back
Top Bottom