Mixing brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about changing regs. My Oceanic Delta is OK but I get bad dry mouth.
It has been suggested for me to find a reg with metal rather than plastic so the condensation can help.
I found a Hog classic 2nd stage at a reasonable price.
Would there be any issues using it with the FDX10 Oceanic 1st stage I currently have?
I have never mixed brands and have no idea if it's a bad idea or common.

I mix brands and it's not killed me yet. I have an AL Legend LX first and second and an Apeks octo.

You may need to adjust the first stage ip to match what the second was designed for. There are a couple exceptions, like Poseidon, but most seconds will work with most other firsts on the market.

The swap to the Hog is just a thought right now. I haven't really researched it yet. If it won't be a real upgrade over the Delta I won't bother.

I'd search e-bay for a metal Conshelf (XII or XIV), ScubaPro (R109 or R156) or Voit MR-12 second stage, rebuild it or have your LDS do the rebuild if you don't feel comfortable then hook it up to your first stage. Use either your metal second stage or your current plastic second stage as your primary, the other as your octo. Bam! best of both worlds.

Conshelf XII or XIV? Man, I am old. I remember getting a Conshelf II when they first came out. It went nicely with my Calypso.

I drink water like a fish.
Someone suggested having the ip on my reg checked. He thinks it might be making me have to breathe hard and that could be doing it. I also need to slow down a little.

I will be trying several different things before swapping equipment but having a reg with a metal tube that collects condensation seems like a good idea. Even if I solve the problem it might simply make it more comfortable.
My Delta isn't a bad reg and I am in no real rush. I don't like changing something just for the sake of change. If I do change anything I need a good reason- like changing compasses. The card on my current compass hangs up. It make navigation interesting and it has got to go.

Buy some sugar free hard candy and put one in the side of your mouth, next to your cheek, it works very well at preventing dry mouth.

Or buy a metal second stage.

Apollo make a small device that goes inline between hose and fist stage that humidifies, it's a little expensive, makes a nice handle for boat boys to snap off but apparently works well.

Bio Filter Dive Air Moisturizer | Apollo USA Scuba

Personally, I'd go with options one or two and in fact do/did.

Last edited:
I am thinking about changing regs. My Oceanic Delta is OK but I get bad dry mouth.
It has been suggested for me to find a reg with metal rather than plastic so the condensation can help.
I found a Hog classic 2nd stage at a reasonable price.

If the hog classic is a plastic regulator, it won't do much for your dry mouth even if it has a metal air barrel. Better would be an all metal 2nd stage; the metal case allows for much more condensation and that's what makes the difference. A sufficient size to the case so that there is enough volume of air to remain in the case and condense is also important. A conshelf or SP 108 or 109 would be fine. Any of these would work well with your oceanic 1st stage. They just need to be tuned together, something you could do yourself if you have a bit of mechanical aptitude. I have a 108 I guess I could sell if you're interested, but check around the usual places first.

Whoever told you that low IP would cause this is not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom