Mix & Match SP with Oceanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuby Dooby

Reaction score
I have decided to get a new reg for myself – probably a SP Mk25 / G250HP and give my son my Oceanic Px2 / DeltaIII. Now for the problem – he doesn’t like the look of my Delta III with the various scratches and dings it has accumulated over the last 3 years (works fine though) but he can live with the 1st stage / Octo which don’t seem to have taken as much wear and tear.

My idea to save some $$$ is:

Buy the Mk 25 / G250 for myself and take my Delta III as the spare 2nd
Get a new Oceanic GT 2nd stage for my son (Delta III without the adjustments) to replace the Delta III off the ‘old’ setup.

Is there any problem matching a Delta III 2nd stage with a SP Mk 25?

I’m tempted to just buy a couple of new sets for both him and I but seeing as he is only 13 and I keep him fairly shallow (max 60 ft.) I don’t see a need for new bells and whistles for his set up – again, I have had the Oceanic 1st / 2nd stages serviced and they are in good working order. Eventually, if he continues to dive as he grows older, I’ll upgrade his regs also.

Anyone have any comments on my plan??

Yoc can mix and match. The stray second stage may need adjusting to match the IP of the original first satge. It should be a simpla adjustment that your dive shop can easily do.

Nearly everyone uses an IP range of 120 to 145 psi so with some tuning by a suitable tech nearly every second stage can be used with nearly every first stage.

Mixing and matching brands of regs should be no problem. You will want to verify there is a local dive shop that can service all the brands on your setup so you do not have to take it to more than one LDS for tune ups and servicing.

Scubapro and Oceanic use the same intermediate pressure. The key is to make SURE your primay reg and your first stage are of the same brand. Your octo can be what ever you want as long as it's IP matches. This is a legal thing. Many dive shops won't touch basterd regs anymore due to new insurance issues. If it fails and your get stuck with medical bills you can't sue anyone if the primary and first stage are not the same mfg.

one has absolutly nothing to do with the other. The second stage doesn't "know" what kind of first stage is feeding it air.... as far as a shop servicing it, if the shop tech is certified-qualified for that brand it doesn't matter what configuration it is. the first and second stages get serviced as each individual piece. The IP is the only adjustment factor between the two stages. And a high performance first stage can tolerate a very wide adjustment on the IP.
And with suing someone, if they serviced it they are responsible for it, period. regardless of brand or configuration if the reg tech hands it to you and says "have a nice trip thats $50" guess what, he is telling you it is OK to dive and he has serviced it to manufactures specs. I have never had any problems getting my regs serviced with all my seconds being different brands then my firsts. And now I do the service on my seconds anyway, so the shop never touches them.
Mix and match what you want. if the shop has a tech that is certified by the manufacturer for the different stages, he will service it.

Back
Top Bottom