Mistral value.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Bought a Mistral today, mostly because it looks like a neat piece of diving history.

From the quick online research I did, I think it is from the late 50's. The identification plate is missing paint in some spots, but is still readable with no serial number.

The body of the regulator finish is unpolished and looks good with very little damage.

The tank yoke also looks pretty good, the filter pretty clean and the protector still in place.

The mouth piece looks to be original, and is yellow, but has cracking etc and I'm sure needs to be replaced. The hoses however, are black, so I dont think they are original and seem to be in great shape, very pliable with no obvious damage when stretched.

I can post pictures, I'm sure that will help, but I would like to know a ballpark of what this set is worth. If I can get it rebuilt without hurting the value or without getting into it deeper than its worth, I will probably do that. If I can turn a good profit on it, then that's probably what I'll do. And if neither is the case, Ill probably use it as I intended when I bought it, static display/decoration.

Thank you,
Jeff

Over the last year they have been running between 100 and 150. A lot will depend on the condition of the chrome plate.

A full rebuild will cost:
$100 for new hoses, wagon wheels, duckbill, and mouth piece
$20 for a diaphram
$35 for a rebuild kit
$20 for a band clamp (Optional but recomended)

A new lable is $30 and a re-chrome will run about $100. It all depends on what you want to do with it, make it a diver, a wall hanger, or a show piece.

Thank you! It seems to be in pretty good shape. I have been having problems uploading photos but I think I should get some up soon.

Does a band clamp hurt the value of a regulator? Right now it has some crimped pieces on it every few degrees. I think its original, at least in design.

As far as value goes, does a rebuild add 'worth' to a piece like this, or is it the same value as unrestored, only with the added benefit of being usable.

Thanks again for your time!

Jeff

If you want to get some idea of what these regs are worth, you can check out vintagedoublehose.com to see what restored ones sell for. For the value of yours, follow some ebay auctions and see what they go for un-restored. There's an original mistral on ebay now, the owner claims it has never been dove with. But, age alone probably means a rebuild, and maybe hose replacement as well.

There's a guy that paints those labels, and another one that makes excellent reproductions. You can get this reg looking like new and working better than new.

The band clamp will not hurt the value, but you can save the clips for some lunatic, errr I mean enthusiast, that might want to use them.

Lots of people dive with these regs once they've been restored. They're worth more rebuilt, if the rebuilder does a good job. The condition of the chrome is really the biggest determiner of value, I suspect.

At the least, you will need the two mouthpiece one-way valves, exhaust duckbill valve, and perhaps the o-ring through which the seat slides, though it doesn't really do much anyway.

If the hoses and mouthpiece are fine, as well as the seat, the Mistral is the cheapest to get working. Maybe forty or fifty bucks at most, unless you need the hoses. By the way, you only need one set of hoses and mouthpiece for all your USD double hose regulators. If you use quick connect hose clamps, r&r, rinsing, and swapping between regulators is a snap.

What quick connect hose clamps are you talking about? I'd be interested in something like that.

I have had a problem uploading photos to the gallery, so I am going to try to link to some elsewhere.

What is the general impression of the condition of this piece?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/ffhamm/Mistral/DSC_3249.jpg
DSC_3255.jpg

DSC_3249.jpg
DSC_3253.jpg

About average or maybe a little less. Open it up and let us see the inside of the cans. Label looks normal, not pristine but ok for a user. Rest of the guts should be replaced. Not an issue. If you don't want to bother rebuilding it, offer here or at vintagedoublehose.com I am sure someone will buy it.

Any special method to open the crimp clamps, or just gently spread them open?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom