Mistakes you have made rushing into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first time diving in the ocean, I bumped up my weights to compensate for the salt water. Shortly thereafter I was swimming back to the boat for more weight. The captin handed me a 6 lb. brick and said "Just stick it in your pocket". I spent the dive listing to the left.

How about prior to desent you give it your final ok and you deflate your bc and start desending without you reg in place.
Talk about kicking:bonk:

Actually, I did this on my last liveaboard....I was taking in my camera housing for the fist time...so I guess that's where most of my attention was (it certainly wasn't on making sure I was geared up!). So, I do my giant stride....and I'm really surprised how deep I went? It was a mystery for about a half a second...cause when I tried to swim back up.... realized I had no fins. Swam to the back of the boat and they handed down both my fins and the camera housing.:embarr:

1) back rolling off a zodiac without holding my mask strap, losing mask, buddies angry with me after losing 10 minutes searching (found; good thing it was only 10 feet of carribean water)

2)doing a pike dive without dumping my bc air, and someone on the boat taking a picture of me with my legs flailing out of the water

3) rushing off the boat, no weights, ending up floating higher on the surface than our dive flag

I got in once without my weight belt, and another time without my fins. In either case, I knew immediately that I wasnt going anywhere!! Both times were embarrassing, but good lessons. I havent repeated either mistake since.

Had to get the DM on the boat to hand it to me after jumping in. Pretended it was my intention all along :)

Talk about forgetting stuff.

I'm the kind of guy that hates being late for stuff, so for morning shore dives, I tend to gather my gear in the garage and pack the car the night before, so I can just roll out of bed, make a cup o' joe, and hit the road. I also leaving early enough that I can take my time in gearing up. The one exception is my drysuit which I keep in the house, and I grab that on the way out the door usually.

So one particular morning last year, I was on my way to the shore dives for my rescue class. The beach we were training at was a good 40 minutes away from my house, and I was almost there before I realized that on my way out of the house, I walked right past my drysuit bag. ;-0

I pulled a U-turn, and FLEW back to get it, and what should have been a one hour round trip, turned into more like 30 minutes. I geared up, and ran down that beach Baywatch-style, just in time for the beginning of class. David Hasselhoff would have been proud. :D

Rick

I've got so many I can't remember them all.
The easiest for me to do is leave my glasses on and try to put on my mask that has corrective lens. That will really mess with your eyesight.

:bonk: I had suited up and checked my gear when a new diver needed help. I took my tank off(with valve on) and helped him. I then put my tank on without rechecking the valve since I had just turned it on. Snorkled out took one breath to check reg then submerged. Then found there was no second breath in the hose. Being able to turn your valves on underwater is required. Now I always recheck the valve if I set the tank down and take more than one breath to check reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom