Mistakes you have made rushing into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
I've done the classic "jumping in without my fins" and one of my dive buddies was in such a rush to see a manta that he forgot clip on his light and of course, also forgot to hook up his power inflator. Apparently, by the time he was situated, the manta had taken off, and he hasn't seen one since then.

Once in a rush to see a Whale Shark on the Mozambique/South Africa border, I jumped in with my cylinder turned off.

Red faces all round.

Jumped in once without synching my Vytec wrist computer to the hoseless transmitter - even better, I was *fully* kitted up in the car park in Monterey, went to reach for my computer - it was still in the trunk, and the car keys were in my drysuit underwear pocket. I did the dive without the computer.

I was listening to a dive briefing on Cayman Brac, wanted to be first in the water to maximize dive time, and put my wetsuit on backwards. I have a shorty that is a front zip, but I was wearing my longjohn this time and got confused when I saw the long zipperleash under my chin...lol

AggieDiver

When diving with "other" than my standard gear configuration I have forgotten to do a bouyancy check. Not too big of a deal but the time I am think of was on a shore dive with a really long surface swim. On that dive I did not have enough lead to get down. I had to swim back and let the rest go on the dive. I cant say swimming on the surface in all that gear and not diving is fun!!!
Christopher

I was on a boat dive on the weekend,

It was a swim out to the boat, I was first on, gear stowed and ready for the dive, I looked back to the shore to see a diver in panick, her buddy also panicking attempting to hold her head out of the water.

I jumped over the side and swam back to them. She had NOT done a buddy Check and had not turned on her own air. I dropped her weight belt, turned on her air and inflated her BCD.

It was her first Dive after she had completed her Open Water Course.

She had 28 pounds on her weight belt and needed her BCD completed inflated to keep her on the surface. She needed maybe 18 pounds at the max.

I was amazed she was diving with two experinced divers in their group and neither had bothered to check the novices equipment.

Sure felt like a DA when I tried to take a breath and my tank wasn't turned on. :bonk:

It was funny after the fact that my wife had a weight belt with 10 lbs on it and had forgotten the fact that she had a weight intergrated BC which was holding another 8 lbs of weight from the day before. We actually got that dive on video and boy was she using her extremities to control her boyency. She still blames the dive op for trying to dround her. She was like a wet cat on top of my head while waiting for the boat pickup.
:newbie: :newbie: :thinkof:

I've forgotten to attach my drysuit inflator hose a couple of times. It made for a nice squeeze at ~35fsw before I got it hooked up. :)

Back
Top Bottom