Missouri State Parks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking for information on diving in a couple of local Missouri state parks. I know, how could I possibly want more information than what is provided on their websites?

St. Joe State Park:

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Scuba diving is permitted in Monsanto and Pim lakes. Participants must be certified and must be accompanied by another certified diver. They are required to display a marker indicating their location. Divers must check in and out at the park office.[/font]

Finger Lakes State Park:

For visitors looking for the more typical state park experience, the numerous finger-shaped lakes allow activities such as swimming, fishing, canoeing and scuba diving.
Johnson Shut-Ins State Park:

Restrictions apply for scuba diving. Obtain a permit and instructions from the park office.
Anyone been diving in any of these locations and want to share info about conditions, rules, things to see, etc?

James

I haven't been diving in any of these, however, I am a frequent visitor to Johnson Shut-Ins and Finger Lakes. John Shut-Ins only has one hole I know of that you can dive in and it is at the bottom end of the Shut-Ins, you'll have to be pretty desperate, and carry your equipment probably about 1/2 mile over some rough terrain to get to it. Since I haven't been diving there I don't know how deep it is but I would "guess" at no more than 15-20, visibility should be okay unless the swimmers have it stirred up. Personally, I would not recommend it.

Finger Lakes? There are different lakes (small & large) scattered throughout the park. Again, I haven't been diving there myself even though I am a frequent visitor, but I have talked with other divers who have, and they say the visibility is really bad (feet ?) and the water is really cold, they did not recommend it when I asked.

St. Joe? I've been to the park but know nothing about diving there.

Hope this has been (somewhat) helpful.

Good Diving,
Mike

I think there are a few Columbia guys that have dived Finger Lakes before... lemme give them a call and get a dive report for ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom