Mission Accomplished: Complete Dive Kit In Single Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am confused. Are you suggesting one should have no carry-on or just a bag that fits it your feet?

So I am confused. Are you suggesting one should have no carry-on or just a bag that fits it your feet?
I am confirming that there is not enough overhead space for every passenger on the typical plane to store a full size carry on in the overhead.

You can choose what ever amount of carry on you wish. If you are the last to board a full flight there will not be any overhead space left.

A standard economy seat pitch is around 29 inches. A standard carry on is 14 inches wide. So the overhead will hold 2 bags per row. Until some idiot has a bag that is slightly too long, and they put it in sideways - making it 1 bag per row.

In the past carry-on wasn't such an issue until the airlines decided to charge. I refuse to give the airlines any more money then I have to. But in truth even when offered free checked at the gate I am one of those prefer not too. Most of my gear is replacable but it would not be pleasant. But my backplate I could not replace.

Complete dive kit in one single carry on bag is NO big deal as long as it is within the allowed size and weight limit!
In the op's girl friend case, her fins shouldn't be allowed to check in.

I do not like queuing so usually board the plane quite late. Therefore I make sure my hand carry is compact and fit under the seat.

Scale it down on both weight and size. It will make the boarding and unboarding so much quicker.

Scale it down on both weight and size. It will make the boarding and unboarding so much quicker.
Trust me. Eric and I have it down to a precise dance.

When I flew Insel I used a small duffle bag as carry-on. Even for the island hop they did not ask me to check it. It worked well but killed my back and shoulders lugging it through the airports and especially the lines at Atlanta customs. I have essentially the same gear in my backpack but the structure and support, while making it larger, is much more forgiving on my back and shoulders.

It gets really hard on airlines that have and choose to enforce weight restrictions on carry on bags. The cargo pants or shorts could really use suspenders then.

Also I am not questioning that you succeeded in bringing back plates in the cabin as they definitely are hard and could be used as weapons. Hard flashlights, first stages, camera brackets, din to yoke adapters, all seem to be no issue.
Things I got busted with so far since 911:
Screwdriver, a cardboard poster roll, a 40' or so Alu tube center cection of a 3 piece kayak paddle, a whole tool kit, just being over 8kg weight, lighter on person, despite being spelled out to be legal, forgotten pocket knife.
All but the latter for useability as weapon.
Things that went with no problem:
Screwdriver, cardboard poster roll, 4 piece paddle (the whole thing), a whole tool kit (forgot it was in there), keyknife, lighter on person, forgotten pocker knife. Well over 40 lbs and we'll over 50 lbs... and the one time I forgot about a whole bottle of water, full, right there in the outside mesh pocket, it went throug!

Between that and taking the belt off or leaving it on and taking the shoes off or leaving them on, all I can figure out is:
It varies...

But that SS back plates can fly in cabins does surprise me. Positively. Just don't believe everywhere...

It gets really hard on airlines that have and choose to enforce weight restrictions on carry on bags. The cargo pants or shorts could really use suspenders then.

Also I am not questioning that you succeeded in bringing back plates in the cabin as they definitely are hard and could be used as weapons. Hard flashlights, first stages, camera brackets, din to yoke adapters, all seem to be no issue.
Things I got busted with so far since 911:
Screwdriver, a cardboard poster roll, a 40' or so Alu tube center cection of a 3 piece kayak paddle, a whole tool kit, just being over 8kg weight, lighter on person, despite being spelled out to be legal, forgotten pocket knife.
All but the latter for useability as weapon.
Things that went with no problem:
Screwdriver, cardboard poster roll, 4 piece paddle (the whole thing), a whole tool kit (forgot it was in there), keyknife, lighter on person, forgotten pocker knife. Well over 40 lbs and we'll over 50 lbs... and the one time I forgot about a whole bottle of water, full, right there in the outside mesh pocket, it went throug!

Between that and taking the belt off or leaving it on and taking the shoes off or leaving them on, all I can figure out is:
It varies...

But that SS back plates can fly in cabins does surprise me. Positively. Just don't believe everywhere...
My divebuddy got busted a few days ago. She was doing a cross Canada dog & pony and came across some chokecherry jelly. A bit of brain fade later and she tried to carry it on instead of jamming it in her already very heavy checked bag. $6.50 CAD down the drain.

On a recent flight back from Cozumel, the united gate agent refused to allow me to take a carry on. I happened to be in boarding group 4. She said the plane was full of carryons.

I took all my gear out of the carryon and put it in a nylon duffle bag. When she objected to that, I told he that I was entitled to a personal item.

Not only was the plane not full of carryons in the overhead, the plane was not even full of passengers. I asked another united employee why the gate agent did that. She said it is routine for them to deny carryons and make people check them at the gate if passengers are in groups 4 or 5.

Ever since continental was merged with united, customer service has gone way down. I am very happy that they are currently being held accountable for their roughshod behavior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom