Missing diver in Monterey, CA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems odd that the article focused on a rip current. While there can be such currents at certain parts of area beaches, they tend to be small and fade out just a short distance from shore as the water depth increases. Rip currents can be deadly to unprepared tourists who get sucked in from the beach and panic but a diver on the surface with a wetsuit and BC will just float. At worst a diver might be stuck a short distance off the beach and need to be rescued by a boat, but even that is highly unlikely at any of the Monterey area shore dive sites. Rip currents are not siphons and don't pull divers underwater. So, I suspect that the main cause of this incident was something other than a rip current.

Can we get the key points? Sacbee doesn't like adblockers and I am not subscribing
Nothing new except that the body recovered as mentioned by Nick_Radov was indeed the same.

I used to use AdBlock but found that uBlock Origin works much better. It didn't block that site.
I suspect that the main cause of this incident was something other than a rip current.
Yeah, I agree.

My condolences to Zach Nelson's family.

I am quite familiar with that beach and the surrounding area; and though rip currents -- often capitalized upon by the local media -- do occur occasionally, they generally don't pose much of a threat to anyone wearing full scuba or even snorkeling gear. I have been caught in more than a few “express rides out” off Carmel, over the years; and, admittedly, getting back to a specific spot back on shore -- maybe just a more opportune and less rocky exit -- can still pose a bit of a drag . . .

Can we get the key points? Sacbee doesn't like adblockers and I am not subscribing
If ublock origin doesn't work on a site, i usually try and copy the url to 12ft.io or archive.ph. 12ft.io unfortunately allows some publications to pay them to stop it from working, but archive.ph has never had that problem. Occasionally the sites go offline (like everything) but have generally been really reliable and near foolproof way to buy pass those annoying subscribe or paywalls.

If ublock origin doesn't work on a site, i usually try and copy the url to 12ft.io or archive.ph. 12ft.io unfortunately allows some publications to pay them to stop it from working, but archive.ph has never had that problem. Occasionally the sites go offline (like everything) but have generally been really reliable and near foolproof way to buy pass those annoying subscribe or paywalls.
Here it is , in PDF form:

Attachments

• SACTO.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
I hate hearing stories about lost or deceased divers that were "last seen on the surface". It makes me wonder....... shouldn't a diver have the option of ditchable weights so that they basically have no chance of remaining anywhere but on the surface once the weights are ditched?

I hate hearing stories about lost or deceased divers that were "last seen on the surface". It makes me wonder....... shouldn't a diver have the option of ditchable weights so that they basically have no chance of remaining anywhere but on the surface once the weights are ditched?
With the possible exception of trim weights attached a tank, all weights are easily ditch-able, whether from Velcro-sealed pockets in various BCs; the ripcords of some other brands; or even the single buckle of a weight belt . . .

With the possible exception of trim weights attached a tank, all weights are easily ditch-able, whether from Velcro-sealed pockets in various BCs; the ripcords of some other brands; or even the single buckle of a weight belt . . .
I get that..... But don't some divers choose to use a weighted backplate with a BP/W and have no option for ditching weight other than ditching their entire rig? Just curious.....

I get that..... But don't some divers choose to use a weighted backplate with a BP/W and have no option for ditching weight other than ditching their entire rig? Just curious.....
Yes, it seems to be in vogue at the moment for some divers to put all their weight onto their rigs with no ditchable weight. As long as the diver is not overweighted and “balanced” and nothing goes wrong I suppose it’s ok, but I am highly suspicious of this practice for open ocean diving.
To my understanding the practice evolved out of cave diving where losing a weighbelt or other form of ditchable weight could be disastrous. In a cave there would be no reason to ever dump weights, so they opt to secure it all on their rigs, less clutter, less chance of failure, no reason to have it removable.
My problem with this practice is some people read about it without knowing what proper weighting is and not knowing what a “balanced” rig means, and they try this still way overweighted.
I don’t know if this was the case with this particular diver or not.

Yes, it seems to be in vogue at the moment for some divers to put all their weight onto their rigs with no ditchable weight. As long as the diver is not overweighted and “balanced” and nothing goes wrong I suppose it’s ok, but I am highly suspicious of this practice for open ocean diving.
Yeah, that’s a very bad idea from beginning to end.

Everything that I have, in terms of ballast, is imminently ditch-able, even though I have yet to do so, over decades of diving.

Some years ago, we had to drag a sizable weekend warrior back to shore (not too far from the recent incident), who initially refused to ditch his weights, in heavy swells — who also happened to be panicking while carrying in excess of forty pounds of lead around his waist and could barely remain afloat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom