Missing diver - How long to wait before notifying authorities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
As a spinoff from another discussion, I'd like to hear the thoughts of some professional rescuers.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume a buddy pair is doing a shore dive and become separated on descent. Diver 1 ascends immediately and waits on the surface for the second diver.

How long should diver 1 wait before contacting authorities about a potentially missing buddy? Should they notify someone immediately, or wait until the other diver is overdue, i.e. nearing the end of their gas supply?

What repercussions (if any) are there from mobilizing a search for a missing diver if it turns out diver 2 decided to just finish their dive, assuming their buddy was safe on the surface?

As a former Coastie, I vote call as soon as you can. Help can always turn around and go back if they're not needed.

Once on a dive from my own boat, I was captaining while a team was under doing a drift dive. The buoy and flag they were towing actually sunk, and it was a bit rough so I could't see their bubbles. Basically, I completely lost them. I called for help nearly immediately. The logic is, if I waited till they wer over due, the distance between me and them would only increase, making a search more difficult. shortly after helped arrived, they saw the smb pop to the surface because the divers realized their flag was behind them instead of over them. I was far enough away from that spot it would have been easy for me to miss by myself.

Just remember that every second we aren't actively headed to or on the search is time that is taken from the victim and that time can never be recovered.

I don’t think there is or should be a set time as every situation is so different. Common sense should dictate notification.

I think DiveGuy has the right idea. Calling when you think there might be a problem is probably the best idea. I think the rescue crews want to get there with maybe the chance of rescuing someone, no matter how small that chance maybe rather than doing a body recovery.

The earlier you call, the more daylight we have to search. Night really hampers search operations.

I was wondering if you could expand on what you think the best procedures are on these 2 different scenarios. It seems like they could be very different. We'll stick with the same basic story that the diver goes missing as stated above...

In these 2 circumstances:
#1 - when the buddies are diving off a charter boat
#2 - when the buddies are diving alone on a shore dive with no one around

I was wondering if you could expand on what you think the best procedures are on these 2 different scenarios. It seems like they could be very different. We'll stick with the same basic story that the diver goes missing as stated above...

In these 2 circumstances:
#1 - when the buddies are diving off a charter boat
#2 - when the buddies are diving alone on a shore dive with no one around

On a charter, there should be an established procedure for a missing diver and your report should be to the capt or DM. The staff may attempt initial search and will notify CG or local authorities.

From shore in US, call 911. If you are a lone searcher, you put your life at risk.

From shore in US, call 911. If you are a lone searcher, you put your life at risk.

Would you say that for a buddy team, separated shore diving by the time the first buddy spends one minute searching, then surfaces and makes their way to shore where they can call from a cell phone, if the buddy hasn't surfaced by then it's time to dial?

I will state from my perspective and that is IF YOU FEEL THERE MAY BE AN ISSUE, CALL IMMEDIATELY!!!!!! We can always stand down rather than have time wasted waiting. The longer you wait in any scenario, the deader they become if there truly is a problem!

The bigger question might be should a diver who is waiting on the surface and is comfortable doing so go back down while there is till a chance to find the other diver alive rather than getting out of the water and calling 911.

Why call for help and delay giving help yourself (when this is the only option)? If someone already on shore can call 911 then both options remain open of course. I understand the concept of not having two bodies to recover but many divers are quite capable of dive solo with becoming another body to recover. As a matter of fact calling 911 doesn't always end up with suited up divers responding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom